Thursday, August 17, 2006

On OYAT

One year ago today I posted about teachers and red pens. I'm not a fan. I use pencil. Click here to read why).

I was also inspired to post a passage from The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night Time. Some people find that book funny. Others find the voice false. I find it powerful, heartbreaking, and remarkable.

It was soon after Tisha B'Av, OYAT, and I wrote about Rabbi Frand's talk on that day about the power of words. I wrote then;"People hurt others" he said, "sometimes purposely, sometimes unintentionally, and sometimes thoughtlessly." I didn't write it out, but I remain haunted by the story he told about the matzah ball eating champion. The winner of this contest explained that he did it to try try to compensate for being told when he was growing up that he was and would always be nothing.

I spent most of yesterday in the air. So here's a little something from OYAY; One year ago yesterday I pasted the lyrics to Giant Step and paid homage to Goffin and King. Two days ago today I wrote about a play performance from on location right after the show. Why does it feel like a hundred million years ago?

5 Comments:

Blogger Shoshana said...

Welcome home (is it home?) - glad that you made it safely :)

August 17, 2006 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Shoshana, thanks very much.

When I returned after my post HS Israel experience, my brother made a sign that said Welome Home - with Home crossed out and Back written in its place (based on the words and vibe he was getting from me at the time)...

A Comment Response Haiku

twelve hours go by
you hang your hat someplace else
call it what you will

August 17, 2006 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

Baruch habah!
Glad you're back, glad you were so inspired to write some wonderful words. Publish, publish, publish. (Poetica Magazine -- hint, hint)

August 17, 2006 at 4:04 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Pearl. You raise an undercurrent of interesting questions:

What does publishing mean, and what does it mean to be published?

Is blogging publishing?

Is publishng for the writer or for the world?

Does having something published make it more
legtimate/real?

Is preparing work to be ready to be published more important than the actual coming out of the work?

August 17, 2006 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

Yes, blogging is a form of publishing. But if you want to share some beautiful words with a wider, different audience, and one that is appreciative of your style of writing, you find a different medium as an enhancement.

If you were to write a poem about a horse, for example, on your blog, you might get a few comments. But if you were to write that same poem in a magazine that is about the equine world, you'd have a more appreciative audience. That would be a target audience, and a proper medium.
Having something published does not make that something more legitimate...not at all. It's how you feel when you write the piece, what you've managed to capture and recreate for yourself and possibly others that's most important.
I just believe in sharing something good with others if it's at all possible.

August 17, 2006 at 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home