Monday, April 12, 2010

Late City Edition

Another day, a unique day, today. A rich day, a long day, my day. I like to breathe and look back at my days. I like to write. I wish I could find time to write up each of my days as I fold them over like just read pages. Today? My 7:00 ride came down at 7:15. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I woke up at 5:30 to clean for my cleaning person, and to work on grades. I was hungry so I ate some Dr. Prager's Fishies. One day perhaps I'll write a book about what I've learned from my rides. This friend and colleague who drives me is great. I enjoy talking with him. I don't usually worry about a ride home, but morning is crucial. Tonight (I'm jumping ahead again) I thought he might be in school still at 5:30, along with many of us finishing up grades. It turns out he was home napping and thought it was 5:30 AM and I was calling to tell him school was cancelled. Cool.

Tonight in the library (where I started writing this post) I bumped into a friend and former student and he introduced me to John Sloan, who painted the work at the start of this post and the self portrait below.


It's getting late, so I'll switch to headline mode.

FLEISCHMANN ENJOYS LONG TALK WITH FATHER (HSLABW)

ON YOM HASHOA: CLASS LISTENS ATTENTIVELY AS VETERAN TEACHER TELLS THEM ABOUT HIS TEACHER RABBI FEIFER, A HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR

AFTER STAYING AT WORK TILL 7:3O PM ENTERING GRADES, CHATS WITH FATHER ON WAY HOME (SEE PAGE 1)

AT LAST MINUTE RABBI FLEISCHMANN STEPS IN TO RUN MEMORIAL SERVICE: OPENS WITH "A TIME FOR EVERYTHING," AND CLOSES WITH METAPHORICAL INTERPRETATION OF TRADITIONAL COMFORT LINE REGARDING MOURNING OF THE TEMPLE

THE IPAD: A FUNKY ALTERNATIVE TO A SMALL LAPTOP?

INTROVERTS NEED ALONE TIME TO RECHARGE THEIR BATTERIES, SO THE STORY IS TOLD

FLEISCHMANN USES HIS PRIVATE DIARY TECHNIQUE OF HEADLINES IN HIS BLOG FIVE YEARS AFTER THE FIRST TIME HIS DID SO

5 Comments:

Blogger kishke said...

I love the top picture. It's alive!

April 13, 2010 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

He's great, just discovered him.

Check out:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=john+sloan+paintings&gbv=2&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=john+sloan+&gs_rfai=

April 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

Don't need to; I googled him as soon as I saw this painting!

April 13, 2010 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Miss Trudy said...

Wow, really like this guy's stuff! I used to do volunteer service for the Jewish Family Service, and my job was to visit old people living alone or almost alone. Some of these were Holocaust survivors. I got to meet many. Even though they survived, life was hard for them ever after, emotionally speaking. I don't think one can truly outlive that experience. I learned so much about humans and life, about surviving in the world, from them.

April 14, 2010 at 3:50 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I missed this comment till now, appreciate it. I really like John Sloan's work too, and am happy I was introdced to him by a student of mine who's now in college and studied him in art history class.

I too visited survivors in their homes. I worked for Selfhelp for a year, an organization for Holocaust survivors. Sigh.

April 16, 2010 at 2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home