Thursday, July 31, 2008

I Win, I Win!!!

"Hi Neil,

I’m happy to inform you that you’ve won Gotham’s Summer 2008 One-Line Poem contest.

Your winning entry, entitled “Life” is posted on our web site at:

http://www.writingclasses.com/oneline

It will also be printed in the Gotham Fall 2008 catalogue.

In addition, you’ve won a free 10-Week Workshop at Gotham."


---------------------------------------

This inspired the following one line poem: Wow, wow, wow, wow...WOW!!!

I'd like to thank all those that helped me edit and choose (you know who you are).

I wrote about this contest here. They informed me that I won on July 18th but as fate would have it I only discovered the news now. I was sorting through emails due to storage being at 91%. I was about to click delete when I noticed the subject: "Gotham: One-Line poem contest winner."

PS - Feel free to identify the reference in the title. My youngest nephew does a sweet imitation.

10 Comments:

Blogger kishke said...

Well, mazel tov! Enjoy.

July 31, 2008 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

Good for you, Neil!

So much said in just one line.

July 31, 2008 at 5:06 PM  
Blogger rr said...

Wow! What an amazing one liner! How did you do it? Fantastic! Mazal tov!

July 31, 2008 at 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very nice one-line poem. I like it. Congratulations.

Not sure about the title reference.

July 31, 2008 at 10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAZEL TOV. I knew you had it in you!

SSLABW

August 1, 2008 at 1:44 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

These five expressions of hapiness and appreciation mean so much to me.

Kishke - Thanks. I'll try to enjoy - hope I do.

Pearl - I believe in economy of words, it's something I learned at a young age.

RR - Thank you. Thank you so much. There's that Faulkner line about a writer having to kill his darlings - having to cut away - even what you love - to arrive at wholeness and beauty, comes to mind.

Miriam - Thank you. If you google the subject in quotes I think you'll quickly find the reference."

SSLABW - YSLABW. Thank you for your warmth, supportive comment.

By the way, the line (available via the link) is an edit of this haiku:

life like a postcard
we write real big at the start
then run out of space

August 1, 2008 at 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mazel Tov Neil! This is a wonderful acknowledgement of a special talent. Some people can say so much while conserving words, kind of like one musical note that opens a person up, a quick gaze of a rebbe that shifts one's insides, or a one-line poem that crystallizes wisdom.

May this be the beginning of many win-win opportunities. Enjoy the writing class!

Sharon Marson

August 3, 2008 at 12:16 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Sharon Marson -

In consonance with your comment, I hesitate, and hope these two words can suffice in response to your observations, images, and wishes:

Thank You.

August 3, 2008 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!! This is really great. I've been away from blogs this past week (my home computer is in the repair shop; don't ask), and am thrilled to be greeted with this good news. :-)

August 4, 2008 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Anne - Your presence here and your wishes are quite meaningful to me. Thank you.

August 5, 2008 at 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home