Thursday, August 10, 2006

OYAT

One Year Ago At the NYFR Blog: (If you choose to comment on the year ago post, I think it's better todo it here at this post as it will thus be more readily seen.)

This is a good poem that I discovered in a book called Fish about morale in the workplace based on the good morale in a fish market. This poem s usable around Rosh Chodesh time for those that see poems and life in a John Stuart Mill kind of way. For some of us this poem works every day.

August 11, 2005 was a rich blogging day for me. I am surprised now that I failed to mention that the prize I won at Ira's party was a Cinderella coloring book that I recall perusing in the Riback car on the way home. That still strikes me - that he does this game for his kids without remembering that his parents did it for him. How much of all of our lives that an apt metaphor of?

I have not been posting about it in a straightforward way, at least haven't till now. But here it comes. I have been in Israel for a month. Thank G-d a billion times. Whenever I visit Israel I visit with Mr. C. and this time has been no exception. Read more about Mr. C. at the post of one year ago today.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Neil,

Thanks for sharing the Mr. C. article. I wasn't reading your blog a year ago, so I hadn't seen it.

I was in Mr. C's last class in YCQ before he made aliyah. I've dropped in to seem him several times over the years, but not quite as much as you. He was a special teacher, who managed to build enduring personal relationships with his students. Not so easy with small minded adolescents like myself at the time, who tended to view teachers as authority figures who made you pay attention and do homework when you'd rather be watching TV or playing sports.

I think he's gotten his reward by moving on to adult education, where the student population is all there because they want to learn, and tend to have a greater appreciation of his creativity. If you had to pick a teacher as a professional role model, you picked an exceptional one.

PS - that Ahava/Yirah graphic is great. I'll remember it, much as I remember many of the gematriyot I learned in Mr. C's class.

August 11, 2006 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

thanks avi for reading and thinking and really reflecting in a meaningful way. very well put.

August 12, 2006 at 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home