Thursday, August 11, 2005

The author wrote this poem at a moment when he was not feeling much faith in himself, he says. I believe him. I think it's a hopeful poem in the end. Reminds me of the various traditions about the meaning of the moon and why the sanctifying of the month via the newly announced moon sliver is the first command given to the Jewish People.

I discovered this poem in an important book called Fish! It's about increasing morale in the work place. I recommend the book highly.

CLOSE TO HOME
by David Whyte
I want to write about faith:
About the way the moon
Rises over cold snow
Night after night
Faithful
Even in its fading from fullness
Slowly becoming
That last curling and impossible
Sliver of light
Before the final darkness.
But I have no faith myself.
I do not give it the smallest entry.
Let this, then, my small poem
Like a new moon
Slender and barely open
Be the first prayer
That opens me to faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home