Thursday, August 31, 2006

Comment Here Now

Living in the moment is a fascinating concept. One of my early poems is about this:


WatchTower

I live
in the past
and the future

Now
is just a
watchtower

As I see
you live
this moment

I wonder
how it
feels

Recently, at an improv performance the topic called out was "Living In The The Moment." We were doing a segment in which two people do movie reviews. The audience provides titles, then the two reviewers talk about the film and describe a scene, and then other players act out the referenced clip. I was one of the actors that had to do the scene after my colleagues set it up. It was, they said, the scene in the icecream parlor, where X and Y are deciding what icecream to buy. Heavy. In the moment. Reminded me of this post.

Speaking of living in the past and future... One year ago tomorrow I posted about what to do when sleep alludes you. I like the way it came out. I've come to realize that my pop culture allusions often go unnoticed (although, yes - anonymous that was the Mr. Clean slogan, thanks to google I was able to quote it right). There's a Billy Joel reference in the linked post of above. Recently there was a quote from a song of a singer/songwriter who has become an extreme Muslim.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're young, it's not your fault sounds like Steven Katz/Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam.

Billy Joel quote "In the Middle of the Night" from River of Dreams? Or is there some reference to "Keepin' the faith" in "Mountains of faith?"

August 31, 2006 at 6:21 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Correct, Avi - You're stll young, etc. is from Cat Stevens' Father and Son (the scene of that father and his son brought the quote to mind).

Mountains of faith is a phrase from River of Dreams:

In the middle of the night
I go walking in my sleep
From the mountains of faith
to the river so deep
I must be looking for something
something sacred I lost
But the river is wide
and it's too hard to cross.

August 31, 2006 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

BTW -

Cat Stevens; contrary to popular myth, born Stephen Demetre Georgiou, not Steven Katz.

From the cool site
http://www.katz.us/

(which links to other sites that back this up)

August 31, 2006 at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home