Friday, June 23, 2006

Pre Shabbat Post

Here's a repeat of an original pre Shabbat poem (there's an oxymoron for you).

Shabbos is a taste of Olam HaBa. We wait for the world to come and we wait for Shabbos. And sometimes we wish that that the world could be more like the world to come. And sometimes we hope for the week to have some Shabbos inside it, not only at the end.

Shabbos brings peace and Shabbos is. Shabbos has always been a friend to me, not the kind of friend that had to grow on me. Sometimes I think (and sometimes I'm told) that I pause too much, and that I move too slowly. Shabbos understands.

Promise me you'll stay.
"you know I can't promise that,"
Shabbos said to me.

"Like long dead loved ones
love to do in sad movies
I will stay with you."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Pre-Shabbat poem reminds me a lot of one of my favorite children's picture books: The Mountain That Loved a Bird by Alice McLerran. It's one of those books that we enjoyed as much as, maybe even more than, our kids. Think you might like it too.

June 25, 2006 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks. Will try to find.

My poem inspired an aspiring anonymous poet to write and send me the following:

MY QUEEN

I hear a knock
On the door I hear
I am pretty shocked
who can it be there

No one comes to see me
No one cares to come
who can it be
on this day at me home

And through a crack in the door
I see a beauty
Her face shining with glamor
Someone I once used to see

But I do not open for her
my heart and soul are dark
I do not want to greet her
I do not feel that spark

My spirit is so low
and in contrast of her glow
it is of death a shadow
I know... I know...

I hide me face
and a tear forms in my eye
The queen herself came to my place
Can I just let this opportunity pass by?


Through the crack she shown
her warmth that warmed me
Oh how I have grown
today together we enjoy to be.

June 25, 2006 at 11:25 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Hidden Track

Like The Sabbath Queen
a partner, holy dancer,
Queen Soul the Second

We all have our queens
and we must honor their needs
the queens inside us


Our queens can be cruel
inspire poetic angst
just like royal pains

At times our queens speak
to us from private chambers
and quarantine us

We all have our queens
please tell me about your queen
even while mine broods

June 28, 2006 at 5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home