Sunday, June 04, 2006

"A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That"

Erev Shavuos Hair Cut - $10
A Little Beard Trimming - $2
The Yeshivish guy next to me wishing the Non Jewish (Hispanic) barber Kol Tuv - PRICELESS

--------------------------------------------------

I just realized that the songs Hold Your Head Up and Too Old To Rock And Roll But Too Young To Die have the exact same riff/melody at a certain point. Can you name other songs that have the same chords, tune, etc...?

---------------------------------------------------

Psycho Toddler wished everyone a Happy Pentecost. What song includes the lyric "I told her I was lost and she told me all about the Pentecost?"

---------------------------------------------------

TRUE CONFESSION: My recent quiz about why people blog was inspired by Jack's question about how people chose their blog name, which garnered an extremely high amount of responses.

He was wondering why it got such a strong response. I was thinking about it and did my little quiz as part of my "research." I think that people like to comment about themselves, thus they like posts that lend to such comments. Bloggers like to talk about themselves in general, and like talking about themselves in relation to blogging even more.

--------------------------------------------------

In what movie does the main character say several times with a glint in his eye, "Even better?"

In what movie's opening scene does a mother put her son's breakfast down the garbage disposal, saying "You can't save French Toast?"

In what movie does the singing waiter father speak of one day being discovered by an impresario?

In what movie is a character asked "What are you going to do, shoot us all?" and reply "No, just you."

What movie: "You're playing yesterdays tape guys."

--------------------------------------------------

Name the Game Show they hosted:

Gene Rayburn
Richard Dawson
Dick Clark
Monty Hall (the one he did for 13 consecutive years)
Gene Wood
Bob Barker
Jack Barry (the one he did for 12 years)
Bob Eubanks
Allen Ludden
Peter Marshal

-----------------------------------------------

If you go the Mirty's most recent post you can find out her real first name. I'm surprised she revealed it. This post may not stay up forever...

-----------------------------------------------

I love coming up with morals for stories. A new uncle told this story to his new nieces this Shavuot and I was there. Can you articulate a moral for this one?

Someone dropped gold coins and a few coins rolled under a cow. Someone else walks by the cow and seeing the change concludes that the cow lays golden coins. So he buys the cow, after asking the owner if this is the truth. Of course when he makes a public attempt of having the cow lay golden eggs he is quite embarrassed. The owner tells him that he can't feed the cow if he wants it to produce golden coins. So he starves it and it dies just before he's about to make another public display. And everyone says it's such a shame that the cow died just as it was about to make her new owner rich.

-------------------------------------------------

Shloimetas suggested that poetry doesn't get much feedback because it runs at a different speed than a general blog post (my words, his idea). Hmm. I find this not only wise but fascinating. My blogging started as an extension of diary writing that I'd been keeping track of for about fifteen years (BAHPPP). My diary entries often include poetry. Some time ago I posted an apology to my diary, in which I wondered if my diary was jealous of my blog. At first I had zero concept of anyone reading. It was just a pasting of my diary. Then I started writing on the blog instead of in the diary. In time I got into the culture of blogging. Some of the members of the blog world appreciate poetry. I won't name names. You know who you are. And you'd better stop! What's wrong with you? Who likes poetry? But seriously, Shloime raises a valid point. The blog world, like the "real" world is fast paced. Poetry involves more than a brief pause, to write or to read it. There are all kinds of writing that requires long pauses to read and write. My favorite posts are the kind in which people present a part of their soul, slowly and carefully.

13 Comments:

Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I believe it was before Me and Julio, but it is the same singer/songwriter. ("I look at that girl as the road to my surviyiyiyiviyival") You've got the write song in your head. I know there are crickets out there who can name it.

This will sound like a joke - but I really think that I asked and you answered this Groundhog quote before.

Wow. I'm surprised that you got Bob Barker wrong. Richard Dawson was right (what show was he a common guest on before that).

The whole anonymity thing is fascinating. We all create personas for ourselves anyway, whatever name we use.

June 4, 2006 at 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob Eubanks - The Newleywed Game
Bob Barker - The Price Is Right
Allen Luden - Password
Peter Marshal - Hollywood Squares
Gene Rayburn - The Match Game
Took care of the Bobs first. Don't know how I did. Let me know...boB

June 4, 2006 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Bob, all are right!

June 4, 2006 at 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monty Hall = Let's Make A Deal.

June 4, 2006 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

gg - correct

June 4, 2006 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger have popcorn will lurk said...

The cow story - Things are not always as they seem.
Or, some people think too hard.

Songs - The ABC song and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Does it count if it's intentional and/or by the same composer? Beethoven put part of his Eroica symphony (#3) in Creatures of Prometheus (or vice versa - I'm not going to look up which came first).

Mozart ripped himself off pretty often.

Eric Carmen - he put part of Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto in his song All By Myself. He did it to another song with Rach's 2nd symphony IIRC, but again, I don't feel like getting up to check it out. LOL.

"A pot, a pan, a broom, a hat...Someone should have set a match to this place years ago."

June 5, 2006 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thank you Chana. I like the story morals. Did Twinkle sue A? (Or must it be that the ABC tune came first?) You seem to know your classical music. I saw Amadeus.

June 5, 2006 at 9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you both missed another one. Baa,Baa Blacksheep...same tune.
boB

June 5, 2006 at 10:25 PM  
Blogger have popcorn will lurk said...

IIRC, after 75 years, a song is in the public domain, so ABC, Twinkle, and Baa Baa should be safe.

Amadeus was good entertainment but of dubious historical value. (giggle)

Did you get my obscure fictional shtetl reference??

Also, did you check out my profile? ;)

June 5, 2006 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I googled for the answer. I don't recall that song at all, didn't make the hit parade.

I checked profile and site. Nice. May your family bring you nachas and may you all be blessed in everyway.

And I like the horns joke.

June 5, 2006 at 11:28 PM  
Blogger have popcorn will lurk said...

Thank you...

See, because your post is titled "A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That", I thought maybe you knew the song, and those... are the next lines...

Just so you don't think I'm a blog pyro...

"If you have to explain it..."

Oy, now you think I'm nuts. Well, most musicians are, you know. Have you ever seen "Amadeus?" Oh, wait...

June 5, 2006 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

What an odd line, who'd know that it's in the same show as "sunrise, sunset."

Hiddent Comment Bonus Q - What Broadway musical song contained the lyrics "I miss you more than words can say."

June 6, 2006 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger have popcorn will lurk said...

Ah, all yours, Mirty. I am no Broadway expert!

June 8, 2006 at 3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home