Monday, December 29, 2014

Mishkovsky

An old woman
who was once young
in body, never in soul
didn't listen to her cousin
her holy cousin who was
even more famous than her
when he told her to cheer up
and I don't think it was spite
I think she was simply real
Like the golden fish she saw
and the dead bird she was
The parents and grandfather
and the husband that she lost
and the self made family
of people who got her 
and cared for her for real
and I wonder sometimes
if she rolls her eyes and 
rolls her self in her grave
every time there's a formal
reading of "Everyone Has A Name"

6 Comments:

Blogger kishke said...

Very good rythm.

You drive the point home, and paint a true-seeming picture of the person.

December 30, 2014 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I called it by her least known name. it's about a woman who was known mostly by her first name and also by her maiden name, which she shared with the most recent Lubavitcher Rebbe. There was crresspondence between them. he told her to write happier stuff. Then he wrote her that he saw she didn't listen. She has these images and when her main translator asked her about the fish, she said stubbornly that it's just a fish. She lost her father, mother, husband. Had no batural children. Was close with students and fans who were part of her home. Her most famous poem is taught in hebrew classes in high school and read on yom YaShoah, Yom HaZikaron, funerals, and other memorial type services. it's much more straight forward and is different than her usual style, it seems to me...

December 31, 2014 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

You might be surprised at how much of that I had already divined from reading the poem.

January 1, 2015 at 12:52 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Kishka, that means a lot to me. I was wondering how could it work?

January 1, 2015 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger kishke said...

I'm not following. Are you asking me how I saw that in your lines?

January 1, 2015 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

No. Just sharing that I wondered. And you answered.

January 1, 2015 at 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home