Sunday, April 27, 2014

My Way (For Today, Yom HaShoah)


By Blu Greenberg 

(From Black Bread: Poems, After the Holocaust- Ktav, 1995)

I am the princess on the pea
That's the way I'm going to be
Creature comforts all for me
Like my chaise lounge by the sea 


"Ooh, it's raining, hail a cab"
"Stop! I must cotton this toenail scab"
"Radio's loud, shut off that blab"
"Candlelight dinner, you pay the tab"

"Please don't interrupt, I've a deadline to meet"
"Order by phone, I can't stand on my feet"
"Air - condition this hot, hot suite"
"Ah, it's time for my persimmon treat"

"Off I go to visit my mother"
"This shop is not stocked, let's go find another"
"I'm busy now, kids, go ask your father"
"If the trip is too long I simply won't bother"

"This elastic waist's a bit too tight"
"Open the shades, I need more light"
"Fax it to me, I want it tonight"
"Let's pay the fine and avoid a fight"

"I'm feeling tired, I'll take a nap"
"Come sweet child, sit on my lap"
"I'll have spring water, it's better than tap"
It's chilly in here, please fetch my wrap"

"Get the best seats at the new play"
"Porter, come carry this suitcase away"
"I wish to have it done my way"
I'd not have survived a single day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin Libow said...

This was beautiful, and I really like Blu Greenberg.

Robin

April 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Robin.

April 29, 2014 at 6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home