Monday, January 13, 2014

SHARP HAIKU


Reb Shlomo Carlebach 
was the only one ever
to say I looked "sharp"

"You gotta look sharp
gottaa have no illusions"
So says Joe Joe Jackson 

They mean it as smart
to me you're the other sharp
you can cut and pierce

Sudden and abrupt
a sharp turn by an old car:
how I perceive you

Sharpness and softness
one rests under the surface
the other on top

I find life to be
sharp like a double edged sword,
smooth in the center

Of myriad knives
the tongue is the sharpest one
and it is so soft

The truth is so sharp
she needs to get all dressed up
in colorful tales

Sharp clever remarks
Mistakenly get called jokes
and are laughed away

The pen beats the sword
they say, but forget to add-
the pen must be sharp

Roseanne Cash observes
G-d is in roses and thorns
in each moment's world

Prompted by Haiku Heights

10 Comments:

Anonymous wordcoaster said...

Sudden and abrupt
a sharp turn by an old car:
how I perceive you

^My favorite

January 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Reading Pleasure said...

Simply great!

January 20, 2014 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow!!! spectacular! i loved the pen, life and the tongue ones :)

January 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Siggi in Downeast Maine said...

wow...impressive thoughts
love the variety of ideas
and thoughts
Peace

January 20, 2014 at 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an inspired set!

January 21, 2014 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fun haiku! Very inspiring.

January 21, 2014 at 11:21 AM  
Anonymous judith westerfield said...

You got me at: Reb Shlomo Carlebach!!!! Oh my gosh, flood of memories.
1967
Student
University of CA, Berkeley
I'm studying for an exam and hear this loud, joyful singing outside.
Go to window and Rabbi Carlebach is leading a HUGE group - people of all ages - down the middle of the street. He looks up, smiles and waves to me to join.
I go back to studying and 47 years later still regret my decision.

LOVED your post!!!!!!!

January 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Milan Rajkumar said...

very sharp haikus ! beautiful !

January 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger Lmkazmierczak said...

"The tongue IS the sharpest one...So glad you included that line♪ Nicely done! http://lauriekazmierczak.com/look-sharp/

January 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thank you all for the feedback.

Sorry for not addressing each of you personally. Sorry too for the word verification, thanks for weathering through it. Sorry if I did not comment on each of your haiku- I hope to.

January 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home