Thursday, January 09, 2014

Haiku Prompted By Grimaces

Not only don't I
laugh at your cruel hearted jokes
I can't help grimace


He sits grimacing
yet somewhere inside his veins
there flows a smile


I hope mom was wrong
and my grimace doesn't freeze
like those forehead lines


You see me grimace
and you shout "it's not that bad"
-just keep on jogging


Twisted expression
conveying disgust and pain
or wry amusement

These haiku were inspired by the prompt- "grimace"


OpenID alicekeysmd said...

These are all very well done. I certainly heard that my face would freeze that way. Well...50 years later.. it sort of did... in an ice-flow sort of way. ;-)

Keep writing, Mr Funny Rabbi.

Don't forget to link up to the HH page when the prompt goes "live" this weekend.

January 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks. I couldn't wait till Sunday to write about grimacing. I really appreciate the feedback.

Forgive my lack of clarity. is HH your site. It's such a good, kind, positive outlet! My Mom said it about forehead lines and about standing hunched over.

It's funny - not ha-ha but HH is also a blog carnival thing, Haveil Havalim.

BTW - I wouldn't have given myself the title. The reason I use it (and maybe it's time to change it) here is because of a title I won that you can read about at this link and/or google:


January 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

January 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger rallentanda said...

Mums are never wrong Rabbi..agood jewish boy should know that. This one was my favourite.It is amazing how that aphorism umbrellas all cultures.

A lot of people will not comment if you use word verification. Most of us remove it.

January 12, 2014 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks rallentanda.

I never know which one will resonate. I write a lot so one will come out rightish.

Can you tell me how to remove the verification. It's been up for 9 years- don't remember.

Also, I get spam as it is now, I'm afraid of getting a lot more without the verification...

January 13, 2014 at 12:06 AM  
OpenID oneofaclass said...

What a great set! Hearing again about my face freezing in any expression sure brings back memories! Did all moms say that?

January 13, 2014 at 2:41 AM  
Blogger Ramesh Sood said...

These all are nicely done could visualise..


January 13, 2014 at 5:26 AM  
Blogger Apurva Kandicuppa said...

nice set of haiku all :)
here's my take:

January 13, 2014 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger rallentanda said...

I do not know if wv stops spam.
I am lucky I don't get any.

If you wish to remove wv click on
then click on
Posts and Comments
Scroll down
Then you will see
word verification
click NO

January 13, 2014 at 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Reading Pleasure said...

wonderful set

January 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Kathy Combs said...

My mom would always warn me not to make faces because they would freeze that way! LOL Now I say it to my kids and they just roll their eyes! Made me laugh! ♥

January 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

So funny (not ha-ha) how I never have a clue what will resonate for people. I had no idea that it wasn't just my mom saying that face freezing thing. Even if I came across it elsewhere (I think there's a Calvin and Hobbes strip about it) it didn't sink it that it's universal. I guess a lot of mothering is. My mother seemed so one of a kind to me and yet she was a member of the mother club.

Thank you all for the feedback.

January 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

BTW - My "sharp" poems are up.

January 13, 2014 at 10:25 PM  
OpenID heavenhappens said...

My you have covered all bases with these superb haiku on the prompt. I enjoyed reading them very much

January 14, 2014 at 8:02 AM  
Blogger Jyotsna Bhatia said...

Lovely haiku here.. all are wondrful bt loved d second one the most :)

January 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thank you all for the feedback. It means so much to me. I feel like part of a blog community for the first time in years!

January 14, 2014 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Usha Menon said...

A beautiful bouquet of haiku. Freezing face is unique!

January 15, 2014 at 5:49 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Usha. I'm caught off guard that that's the one striking people.

January 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger cheryl said...

"yet somewhere inside his veins
there flows a smile"

This is beautiful Neil, well done with your set

January 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Cheryl. I've used this a couple of times in my writing- I think/hope it's original- he idea of feelings, and traits and things being in our blood, flowing through our veins. I appreciate your appreciation, and your singling out that piece.

January 16, 2014 at 2:16 AM  
Blogger Milan Rajkumar said...

beautiful ! string of pearly haikus

January 16, 2014 at 3:43 AM  
Blogger Lmkazmierczak said...

Ooh, I'm liking what you did... grimacing through your clever lines in agreement♪

January 16, 2014 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Lmkazmierczak and thanks Milan for the feedback. It makes me really happy to hear!

January 16, 2014 at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home