Monday, December 23, 2013

HOTD

Twenty plus years ago I went to a poetry reading way downtown in New York City. It was this time of year and there were a lot of people crammed into this basement, and it seemed that each one had their poetry to share.  Someone got up and said a brief and real poem that I remember in my mind this way: "I remember my first hug/ I don't remember who gave it to me/ but I remember the hug/ And this year for Christmas/ the only present that I want/ is another hug."

Haiku Heights' prompt this month is the word gift.  Here is my offering:

It feels like a hug
heart to heart, with affection
is the best present

6 Comments:

Blogger White Phoenix said...

That hug was meaningful

December 24, 2013 at 5:23 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks White Phoenix for the wise/kind response.

December 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger cheryl said...

Very true Neil, hugs are welcomed any time.

December 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Cheryl!

December 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Pealogic said...

Absolutely, but maybe combining it with a kiss.

December 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Pealogic.

I hear your point of view. I think that poet and I were saying that hugs are their own thing.

A sincere, spiritual, rabbi/friend of mine who I bump into once in a blue moon is a hugger. He once told me that when you hug someone you should both lean to the left, so your hearts are overlapping and you connect heart to heart.

As an orthodox Jewish rabbi, in my world hugs are limited to within marriage and immediate family or to same gender friendship hugs.

December 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home