Tuesday, October 15, 2013

From The End of Your Life Book Club

It feels kind of criminal that I haven't been sharing quotes from "The End of Your Life Book Club."  Here are some:

Reading isn't the opposite of doing; it's the opposite of dying." - pg. 7

"One of the many things I love about books is their sheer physicality. Electronic books live out of sight and out of mind. But printed books have body, presence... I often seek electronic books but they never come after me.  They may make  me feel, but I can't feel them. They are all soul with no flesh, no texture, and no weight. They can get in your head but can't whack you upside it." pg. 43

[Lessons Will Schwalbe learned from "The Etiquette of Illness"]

"1. Ask 'Do you want to talk about how you're feeling?'

2.Don't ask if there's anything you can do. Suggest things, or if it's not intrusive, just do them.

3. You don't have to talk all the time. Sometimes just being there is enough." pg. 44

"For me, there's something about planes that isolates and intensifies sadness, the way a looking glass can magnify the sun until it grows unbearably hot and burns. " pg. 47

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home