Tuesday, August 06, 2013

A Day

10:47 AM -

Yesterday I saw a Dr. I was "warned" beforehand that he likes to check for everything and that didn't seem like a bad thing, still doesn't - in my head. He is a character, kind, quirky, genius-ey.  He spoke (I listened) to me in his office for what must have been either side of an hour.  I couldn't stop him, and I tried my best to take it all in.

The office staff did not seem thrilled that we were in there so long, but they should be used to it is my guess.  As I was leaving they were Facebooking excitedly about Snooki (it wasn't really her but a friend of one of them that looks like her and another one thought it was her) and Shark Week (amazing what marketing can do). Mostly he read me the riot act (in his wonky, wordy way) about my weight. He measured my waist (first time a Dr. ever did that) and told me all kinds of stats abut me and my extra pounds.

He was going to give me some info (the staff was supposed to, in print, but they were too distracted and I was too tired having fasted for the tests for the 2 o'clock appointment, and at the end somehow it was after 4.While he kept talking I wondered what time it was, guessed it was probably 3, but didn't want to be rude by looking at my watch).

10:44 PM - A day.

Looking back, I'm not sure why I shared what I shared above.  And if you asked me what details I said, I'd honestly tell you I don't remember.

I had lunch with a dear, longtime friend today. We chatted for a long time and it was good.

We discussed Torah and pop culture and life as we know it.  My friend says that he finds Billy Joel more honest about who he is and feels he doesn't really trust Sringsteen's "honesty." I'm pretty trusting of this portrayal, though my friend thinks it could all be contrived by "The Boss." We spoke about Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and about Ipods. (My friend watched that show in bed, because he has a Crackle app.

My friend lives in West Hempstead and told me that Rabbi David Orlofsky was once visiting his brother and spoke. Moshe Radinsky, my dear friend, started saying, "He spoke about that story, you know the famous one..." Somehow I decided to take a guess. "You mean the one about, "Why weren't you Zusia." Somehow I was right. As my friend recalled it, Rabbi Orlofsky said that he thought this story was told in an unhelpful way. The moral of the story, as it's usually told, is that we will be asked one day why we did not become our selves.  He had a different perspective, no-one becomes themselves one hundred percent. Rather, the point is to live a life of striving, to be the you who worked towards being the best you possible. Or something like that.

11:59 - Good night and may G-d Bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home