Monday, July 08, 2013

Today I had 2 stints in Barnes and Noble.  During the first I took the first list off the shelves randomly o peruse. duringmy second visit I took the second list.  I didn't get to look at some at all, others I skimmed. I went home with The Worlds Strongest Librarian, An Abundance of Katherines, and Poetry magazine. I also bought a bottle of Fuji water and chocolate covered Graham Crackers.  The house always wins.

Holes - I think I may have seen the movie.  I think my mother recommended it, that there was some talk between us about it.

An Abundance of Katherines - I was about two thirds through this and it disappeared. I think I left on behind on one of my many recent long busrides.

The Absolutely True Diary of A Part Time Indian - I really like this guy's poem about Facebook, and I remember the Machefsky family (Pam, Ira, Chavie) talking about meeting hime when he did a reading.

Trains and Lovers - This is by the author of a popular mystery series that someone I dated once mentioned that she was into.  I was curious about how he did with what seemed to be a more sophisticated and anmitious project.

The Astronaut Wives Club - I read about this, sounds interesting.  Didn't even open it though.

Earl the Pearl: My Story - He was a superstar on the super Knicks of my youth. I read the whole introduction by Bill Bradley. He spoke aabout how when Monroe came to the Knicks he humbly put his showiness on the back burner and became a humble team player like no other.  He spoke about how much Earl has persevered in life, how he is a mentsch, how he never once said no when Bradley asked him to speak at an event.

The Illusion of Separateness - The title grabbed me.  Didn't look at it.

The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells - At a recent Shabbos meal someone mentioned how fond she is of this book, thought I'd take a look.

---------------------------------------

Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls - New David Sedaris.  In the intro, that i read in the aisle, he says that there are monologues for high school students in the back.  Turns out that was a gag.

Antonia Lively Breaks The Silence - Looked interesting, read a page or two.  Then I saw a bunch of back reviews for it from readers.

The World's Strongest Librarian - Looks great. I have high hopes.


Bobcat and Other Stories - Got rave reviews.  I didn't buy it because I think I'll catch up on old New Yorker stories before buying a new collection.


Dad is Fat - Jim Gafigan (sp?) is funny.  I didn't get to open the book, don't know about it.


The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards - Heard of it.  


Poetry Magazine - Read a bunch of things here and decided I wanted it.  Three pieces by and about dead people caught my attention.  They had me at Roger Ebert.


Jewish Book World Magazine - Didn't get to it.
Believer Magazine - 
Didn't get to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home