Monday, January 07, 2013

The Ache of the HSP

I just remembered this post because I just had a meeting at which the head of the group I performed for at a fundraiser and wrote about was our guest speaker.  He runs an organization to help frum kids at risk and said that he found that they are all hyper sensitive.  I like highly sensitive much better as a phrase than hyper sensitive. That because I'm an HSP. Someone who is an HSP would not use the word hyper in regard to this mindset and way of being nor would they consider that there's intrinsically something wrong with someone who's very sensitive. I mentioned the book and he said he thinks he possibly came across it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Trudy said...

Wow. I have worked with at-risk kids (not Jewish, but from lower income urban neighborhoods) and if they are highly sensitive or not was never an issue. It was more about helping them acquire the skills to manage their emotions and organize themselves to be able to perform well in school and socially, etc. So having said that... what exactly is a highly sensitive person? Like, noise makes you jump out of your seat? Pardon my ignorance, but I am genuinely interested.

January 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Good point, sounds right.

HSP is an idea that's developed in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Highly-Sensitive-Person-Elaine-Ph-D/dp/0553062182/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357614691&sr=1-1&keywords=highly+sensitive+person

And there's a test you can take (that I'd love to hear about the results of) here:

http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm

January 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home