Wednesday, October 31, 2012

My Hurricane Sandy Poems

Trying to be in a moment is impossible
Like trying not to be an ironic cliché
These are my thoughts, struggling, breathing
On this historic, howling, hurricane day

------------------------

Denying and believing are a complicated pair
One without the other underneath is truly rare
Sometimes faith and doubt seem one and the same
Such are the machinations of our soul’s twisted game

------------------------

It’s confounding, will I ever understand
To what degree life is or isn’t in my hands?
I’m so often hungry, rarely for food
Anxious to control my life, my mood
Most people like it, I guess it’s not a crime
But I much prefer when my words don’t rhyme
And yet and yet and yet sometimes I cave
And base my rhythm on the way “they” behave
I need to take who I am and then with that give
In the end that’s the measure of a life lived

(3 things I wrote over the last few days)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home