Thursday, August 09, 2012

Week Two (and Haiku Too)

It started in the airport.  Every Israeli I cross paths with wants to know why my Hebrew is so good.  I wish I knew how to say "aw shucks" in Hebrew; it's one of the many things I don't know how to say. I'm not sure what the answer to their question is, at least not that one particular one (I do know that I packed my own bags). Part of it is that I lived and learned in Israel for five and a half years. There are olim who've lived here a lot longer than that who don't speak Hebrew, which I guess needs to lead to another answer.  I like talking to people, so when I'm here I rub shoulders (so to speak) with Israelis and learn their language by interacting with them.

On another note here are 3 haiku, hot off the press.  I wrote these at around 6:45 PM today.

What is "Chareidi?"
The word means one who trembles
At least it used to

This King George Street park
Filled now with sheitels and hats
is changing changing

Soon erev Shabbos
As the Thursday sun descends
with hope in her hand

2 Comments:

Anonymous Elie said...

love the last one. beautiful, as always

August 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Elie, I thought it was time for an Erev Shabbos poem.

August 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home