Saturday, August 04, 2012

Motzai Shabbos Update

I got to Israel Wednesday early AM Israel time. Davened Shacharit at the Kotel then had a mellow day and then walked back to the Kotel at around 3 AM. Blame jetlag (if you like). Thurday I spent many hours in town, mostly in a cafe, online.

Met a dear old friend for dinner on Thursday. There are no words for close friendships that go unharmed by how long it's been since you spoke last, riding above time as these connections do. Four hours of soulful soul sharing: worth more than all the money and possessions in the world.

Davened at the kotel again Friday morning. Is it just me, or is there something about that place?

Just had a wonderful Shabbos with one of my dearest and holiest friends and his dear and wonderful and holy family (not all the kids/grandkids were home) (he's my age and has 7 kids and a bunch of grandchildren from the 3 married kids - poo poo poo). It is an honor to have a friend who is an baki in Shas, as he's learned it many times. In his Daf Yomi shiur this morning he caught them up (and got them a bit ahead) by doing a blatt and a half in an hour in the most clear and beautiful way. There is so much to write and yet so much to store in my heart. For now I'll leave a lot unsaid.

Here are two haiku written on a late night walk to the Kotel:

I'm above your steps
Pausing before my approach
The summer wind blows

Soon I'll visit. Soon.
Something is holding me back
Shy, even with you

8 Comments:

Blogger rr said...

What time were you at the Kotel on Friday morning? I was there at around eight thirty.

August 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

About 9:10 to 9:50.

August 6, 2012 at 3:46 AM  
Blogger rr said...

You wouldn't by any chance have extra room in your suitcase going back to NY? Feel free to say no...

August 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that last haiku brought a tear to my eye. man it's been a while since i've been there..

August 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Sorry rr, just saw now.

Anonymous, thanks for telling me. It's amazing to be there.

August 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger rr said...

Aww....I would have brought the gift to Kenyon Malcha. Glad you enjoyed...though. Have a safe trip back!

August 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Sorry RR - it was an unplanned and brief outing there. Just in case - if you have a way to get it to Shaarei Tikvah, I'm here all day and part of tomorrow.

August 13, 2012 at 4:42 AM  
Blogger rr said...

Thanks so much! No clue where that even is. No worries...but thank you just the same for the offer! Hope what is left of your trip is reLaxing, rewarding, inspiring, and good! טיסה נעימה

August 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home