Monday, July 16, 2012

Who Likes Nice?

-By Ethel Olicker 9/92.

Who likes nice?
Nice is warm ice.
.
Mothers of older sons like nice.
"I know a nice girl for you"
.
Fathers of nubile daughters like "nice".
"I want you to meet my partner's son,
such a nice boy".
.
Daughters used to reassure their mothers
"Don't worry, mama, he's a nice boy".
..
Grandmas want their grandchildren
to have friends who are nice.
.
Nice is the kiss of death
when you are burning for the flame
of life.
.
Yet nice is good to live with,
to depend on,
good in a father
or mother.
.
For those who fear a burning,
yet don't relish freezing,
caught between fire and ice,
.
Slush,
the intermediary nice
may/must suffice

This poem was mailed to me by the author after she read an interview with me in the paper that brought this to mind for her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home