Tuesday, July 17, 2012

It Can Make Your Day When Someone Tells You You Made Their Day

Earlier this summer I saw the (non profit) Roundabout Theater's production of Harvey. One day I'll find the timing and the words to express how much this play means to me.

Before the show they sent an email - which I've never experienced before - with links and articles to look at to better prepare for the play. I found it uniquely thoughtful as well as helpful.

Even more surprising was the email I got the day after seeing Harvey. It opened with this line: "Thank you for attending Harvey." It went on to offer links and more, What struck me was the opening line.

I quickly wrote back (off the top of my head, then forgot what I'd said), "Thank you! It's an amazing production of a remarkable, oh so human (in the most ideal sense of the word), magical, brilliant play!" (Don't think I found the words to say all that I have to say about this play; there's much more waiting to be expressed.)

I wasn't sure if anyone would get (or "get") my email (because it went to some general, technical address.

Here's the response I received from the artistic director of the theater company (though he doesn't include the title in his signature). (He's had this position for 22 years and for 7 years before that he was executive director of the company.)

Thank you so much for writing, Neil. Your lovely note about HARVEY made my day!!!!

I hope that you have a wonderful summer.

Fondly,
Todd (Haimes)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Pearl Saban said...

I'm like you. I like to give compliments where they are due, and it's a bonus when your words have such an impact on someone. I even do it to strangers.

July 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Why not? I think it's the way to go. One of the themes of Harvey is that people could be more human and friendly and kind to one another. For some reason as people "mature" they grow away from connecting to others. Sad.

I've been working on and writing about this here for a long time.

THANKS FOR THE COMMENT. MADE MY NIGHT!

My old appellation for you as a blogger still applies.

July 17, 2012 at 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Pearl said...

:) Thank you. I'll take that last line as a *compliment*!!

July 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I believe - back in the day (that perhaps existed a bit more in my mind than on the internet) of an active chevra of bloggers that formed a small community that I was part of, I used to be touched and impressed by your comments here and on other blogs. I think I said more than once (and if I didn't say it quite this way then I'm saying it now) that you were the kindest blogger I knew.

July 24, 2012 at 1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home