Thursday, June 07, 2012

Thursday: Gap Day

10:32 AM - Just found this on the back of one of yesterday's honors finals:

"I appreciate that you are always willing to listen to what other people have to say & that you accept their opinions.

I have learned to learn Torah in a new way this year. Thank you for that!

Best,
Q"

I wonder why I post notes like this here.

Two hours ago someone, somewhere in the UK, searched "Aaron Bulman" and this was the number one result to come up. I hope Aaron's neshamah just rose even higher.

11:35 AM - Quote of the Day: "To love means to open ourselves to the negative as well as the positive - to grief, sorrow, and disappointment as well as to joy, fulfillment, and an intensity of consciousness we did not know was possible before." - Rollo May

12:16 PM - Quote of the Day 2: "Any time we are answer-driven rather than idea driven, we have lost the true meaning of education.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

What I find most fascinating about this is who said it.

You can find out - if like me, you didn't hear of him till now - who Neil deGrasse Tyson is here.

If you google this quote and his name you'll find a lot more that he said which is radically relevant to the process of learning.

12:23 PM - My dad - hslabw - just emailed me this article about Mohamed Ali's grandson's Nar Mitzvah.

4:16 PM - Just had a good chat with a colleague of ten years. And then I received this response to the Neil deGrasse Tyson quote from a veteran science teacher, "Once again, you are right on the money!"

4:28 PM - What a sad parsha Behaalotcha is. Salvation gets turned on its head like an upside down nun (the Hebrew letter, not the woman belonging to a religious order of the church). As Rav Soloveichik sees it two years into their travels it was time to go to Israel, forever. It was time for the era of Mashiach. That's why there's the talk about the trumpets and war - it was supposed to truly be the war that would end all wars. That's why Moshe invites Yitro to join him. It's - in part -metaphorical, Moshe was saying that all people of the world were welcome to sign on to the good times about to come.

5:15 PM - Here's a haiku that relates to a question on yesterday's Chumash final:

Two part Exodus
Exile and redemption
Happening right now

And here's a poem that's hot out of the oven, maybe not fully baked:

I'll believe it
when I feel it
when I feel it
in my bones

I'll believe it
when I sense it
when my heart's
not made of stone

I'll believe it
when I know it
then I'll know
what can be known.

5:24 PM - I think I'm going to close this post. I don't know who reads what I write here, but I do know that when it's longer it's less likely to be read. Graduation is tonight and that deserves - though it may not get - a post of its own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home