Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Tisha Be'Av Thoughts


Although Tisha Be'Av is primarily a day of mourning it is also a day for spiritual honesty, so that things can improve.

In Smiling Each Day's entry for the twentieth of Av, Rabbi Twerski tells the following joke: Two patients who shared a hospital room each had a broken leg. The Dr. came in and examined the first man. As the doctor moved and examined his leg the gentleman wailed in pain. Next the doctor checked out and manipulated the leg of the second guy. The man didn't make a sound. After the doctor left the room the first man said to the second man there, "I am amazed at how you held back from screaming in pain." The second fellow replied, "Are you kidding? After I saw what he did to you, I showed him my good leg." The moral is that people often hold back from exposing their issues to people who can help them spiritually. Just like the doctor can't diagnose your broken leg if you show him the healthy one, spiritual healers can't help us if we hide our flaws and flaunt our good side.

Original Kinnah

A Temple of holiness we lost.
A clarity of faith I lost.

Being clear as day; our guilt stands.
Being even clearer; I am not what I need to be.

Come and see how pleasant were our dwellings.
Come and see how I sit now on the Kotel floor.

Depleted of connection to G-d and to each other;
Depletion of connectedness inside my heart.

Each year, a year further from where we once were.
Especially me, I feel like less than I should be.

Foolish spies began our error.
Foolish I continue.

Going from land to land, we stay strangers.
Going no-where but my homeland, I feel a stranger.

Hearts bleed for Jewish blood flowing as water.
Heart and blood inside me are too cold.

In time comfort will do us well.
I see even now that the land s very good.

Jews will celebrate this day one day.
Jews, including me, await the holiday.

Kept dark, the Temple candles.
Kept dark, my heart’s constant candle.

Lest it be forever that you forget us.
Let it be stated that I will always be your son.

Meals for our heart; your holy spirit.
My mealtime tonight; sitting fast with you.

Newly planted daily, Torah in our hearts.
Natah, my name means plant; I wish to grow.

One Torah, an elixir of life, you gave us.
Only from the poison power please save me.

Poor are what even our rich are.
Poor at the door, I am at your home.

Quiet. A muted nation.
Quite sad. I am speechless.

Righteous we are not, for we have sinned.
Rightful rulings I don’t seek, but kindness.

Saved for now, sanctification for future times.
Salvation and holiness reach me at last.

This nation awaits your return to us.
This me awaits my return to you.

Unwelcome war leads us to ask for peace.
Unwelcome hate causes me to seek love.

Virtuous and pure, you commanded us to be.
Verily, for the second, I am pure.

What is the purpose behind our nation’s pain?
When will I join my nation in salvation’s song?

You are one and your people are one.
Yours truly wants to be close to You and Yours.

- Tisha Be'Av 5766

Waiting For Eichah - 5771

Help me know that up or down, You are with me
Only You are
Wow is life

Catch me now, I'm falling; always, what You do
Open Your hands - You do, again and again
Unless we change perspective, nothing changes for better or worse
Love is what you feel for us, always, confusing as it may appear, hard as it is to grasp
Don't think it's over; individuals, and nation, carry on

I need to cleave to You
The "bad" is needed to cleave to the good

Because You are with me I will fear no evil
Everything has its moment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home