Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Two Poems (Both Via PoetryProseDrama) (Click For Link)

How sad is this poem? Must it be this way? I hope not.


Only the Moon

By Wong May


When I was a child I thought

The new moon was a cradle

The full moon was granny's round face


The new moon was a banana

The full moon was a big cake.


When I was a child

I never saw the moon.

I only saw what I wanted to see.


And now I see the moon

It's the moon,

Only the moon, and nothing but the moon.


Isn't this next one spot on?


The Facebook Sonnet

by Sherman Alexie


Welcome to the endless high-school

Reunion. Welcome to past friends

And lovers, however kind or cruel.

Let's undervalue and unmend


The present. Why can't we pretend

Every stage of life is the same?

Let's exhume, resume and extend

Childhood. Let's all play the games


That preoccupy the young. Let fame

And shame intertwine. Let one's search

For God become public domain.

Let church.com become our church.


Let's sign up, sign in and confess

Here at the altar of loneliness.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne D said...

Wow. Just wow.

May 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks! (Just - thanks!)

May 17, 2011 at 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home