Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Edith and Irwin's Kid


Pictured above is my dear friend Seth, whom I first met in 1977 (a story for another time). You'd think he'd look happier for a guy who just lost 20 pounds. This photo accompanied an article in today's New Jersey Jewish News. Click here to find out how he's lost twenty pounds and why a Jewish periodical is covering it.

Seth and I have been in touch lately more consistently than we have been in a while - or so it seems to me. We've been friends since we met and been there for each other's major life events. I even made one of Seth's major life events happen - my only successful shiduch to date. For his latest project, I offered some blog ideas. I comment. Most importantly we talk about eating and related issues. Last week we each lost 1.2 pounds. I'm worried about my next weigh in, as the wagon has been wobbling (even if I haven't fallen off).

There's so much to say on this topic. it's so personal, yet universal. It's so important. We need to take care of ourselves. And to smile all the while.

6 Comments:

Anonymous lavender garden said...

very interesting article. thanks for the link. the weight loss struggle is ongoing- you think you've conquered it and poof! one or two pieces of sugary stuff and you're caught in the addiction cycle again. we lavender gardeners were so careful in the weeks before and during Pesach- maybe because we were home and there was time to cook and to eat breakfast- now, back in the more hurried and demanding pace of school/work life, the sandwich-danish scenario plays out more than we would like to admit. Can you throw out a call to your readers for helpful tips that work?
Thanks, and hatzlacha to you and to Seth!

May 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks LG.

There's a link to Seth's blog in the article which is full of helpful hints.

He - at some point - made a neder not eat after 9PM. It's an intriguing idea and one should check with his/her L.O.R. I know many people say that the night snacking is an issue - it's a good idea to call it a night at some point.

Exercising and walking helps big time.

Preparing foods that are healthy and keeping them around (if I only had fruits and vegetables put in front of me all day and be a happy and skinny man).

Talking openly with others - friends, mentors, support groups, etc. I find that element of WW to be helpful - hearing from others that this is a struggle and how they succeed. I pay more attention to the group members than the leaders in a way. I've never met anyione who's been on WW for many years straight that isn't an employee of WW. Real people struggle and go on and off "program". To succeeed I think one has to modify WW in a way that works for you.

Just a few ideas for now O.T.T.O.M.H.

May 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I just reread your comment LG and see you asked not for me to give helpfukl hints but to ask readers for helpful hints. Sure. My readers tend to be comment shy. If anyone wants to jump in with helpful hints PLEASE do so.

I hear you on the issue of the pace of life - that's a big challenge for me, grabbing what's quick, easy, in front of me.

It's important to remember that the issue is life and health.

May 11, 2011 at 3:19 PM  
Anonymous lavender garden said...

thank you for excellent advice and reminders. maybe we'll grab some motivation !

May 11, 2011 at 10:21 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

My apologies to Lavender Garden - your comments have disappeared (as well as my responses).

Bloggers been down for days; they've been having issues and posts and comments have gotten lost in the process.

Scary, as it's Google run and makes you wonder about Google docs, and the ubiquitous gmail accounts.

May 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Glad this comment thread is back.

May 25, 2011 at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home