Monday, May 16, 2011

"A Case of Do or Die"


Does memory exist, or is all that exists events? When we are fully there (not busy bowing to the Blackberry G-d) an event attaches itself to us. What other people refer to as my memory doesn't feel like memory at all. My memory is not strong. If you say 578913241 - I probably won't remember the number. But if you're so angry when you say 578913241 that it sounds to me like you're shouting it, and I see you left eye spasmodically twitching, and after you say 578913241 we don't talk or email for a month, it will all stay attached to me.

As memory fades, things which are attached to a person stay clear, because they never had to be memorized, they've been there since they arrives, like barnacles. The things we see or hear if we're running to a hospital due to an emergency call may not be taken in. If we are always running in that way then everything will be a blur, nothing will stick. Yet, nothing will be forgotten because it wasn't there to be remembered.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne D said...

Heightened emotions enhance the neurochemistry of memory.

I'm feeling very clinical these days.

May 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

To me it's not just heightened memory, it feels like something different than memory. Yet, I appreciate and respect your clinical/scientific contribution. Different strokes...

May 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home