Tuesday, April 05, 2011

a little office/ a rabbi sits, blogging/ the sound of typing


Last night I got home at around 8:30 PM after a long day of teaching and being out and about. I tried to blog. I started, but didn't post. Here's what I began:

"It's an honor to be a teacher. I write these words, exhausted, after a long day. At home there are still calls to make and work to do for work; I am blessed to be a teacher.

Today I taught six periods; two Gemorah and four Chumash. One lesson included the idea that people give what they can and if others accept a person giving as much as they can then that person will develop the ability to give more. This message evoked sincere applause from the class. On the topic of Pesach, in shiur, we discussed the idea that after so long it would be a mistake to give up on geulah..."

Now it is another day, another now, the middle of a new moment, here/gone. I taught five classes today and met for Torah Guidance with five students, like yesterday - but different. Yesterday had more classes and more meetings.

A bunch of posts ago I had an epiphany regarding wanting to be in the moment. I'm not sure what this means. Judaism encourages us to remember the past. I'm no expert in religion, yet I wonder if Judaism is the only one to include commandments of events and concepts that must be remembered. We have many such mitzvot.

Yesterday, there I go again - returning to the past - I shared thoughts about haiku with some very quick students. I explained the idea that Japan has more sounds than English and that's one of the reasons that transferring the 5-7-5 rule from Japanese to American haiku is not sensible. They wanted to hear what a haiku sounds like in Japanese. I don't know Japanese, but I know Youtube. And within seconds we were listening to what is perhaps the most famous haiku ever written - in Japanese. If you listen carefully to the fast and subtle Japanese sounds, you'll hear that it is 5-7-5. (You'll also note that the translator does not make it 5-7-5 in English.)


I could write more. I'm confounded when i hear people say that they tried blogging but ran out of what to write about. As long as I'm alive I can write/right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home