Monday, March 21, 2011

Purim Has Passed

Last night at the Purim se'udah a friend admitted to reading my blog. He had a lot to say about blogging and was curious about why someone would share. I realized that blogging is like life; before we say or do anything we need to ask, "Why?" Lately I've been inclined to blog less. I ask what good could come from posting X? And then I take a stroll.

On Shabbos Rabbi Michael Rosensweig said that matanot le'evyonim is often misunderstood. An evyon is poor in spirit, lacking in hope. The mitzvah is to gift such a person with a perspective of cheer. This lesson should pour over to the day after Purim. Do we lift the spirits of others? When we give do we give what another person lacks or simply what we feel like giving. Purim can be an analogy to life. Do we have someone at our table in order to meet our own need or to meet their need. Do we put more emphasis on socializing with friends or on reaching out to broken winged acquaintances that are one hug away from hope?

May we be blessed on Shushan Purim to sift through the messages of Purim and keep the gold. May we be blessed to have and to share light, happiness, ebullience, and grace.

The fifth bell rings
The classroom remains empty
Two students stroll in
A mellow Shushan Purim
Wondering what fate may bring

4 Comments:

Anonymous lavender garden said...

Dear Neil,
You indeed bring inspiration, enjoyment and insight to many people. Not to mention interesting paintings and their interpretations! Count us among those people. Please keep sharing, in your exemplary, refined and tasteful way.
We were surprised to read that you have school on Shushan Purim. Thought most places didn't!

March 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Hmmm. You talk to me like you know me! We had one normal period, then 3 periods of a Chagigah, and then till eleventh/last period was regular school.

Thank you for telling me what the blog brings to you. It means a lot to me to get a word of chizuk/strengthening now and again. (And again...)

March 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting that an evyon is poor in spirit and that the mitzvah of matanot le'evyonim is to gift such a person with a perspective of cheer.

Someone did that for me! I usually have a hard time on Purim and a friend called and gifted me with cheer.

I hope it was a Purim Sameach (and Shushan Purim Sameach) for you!

Maayan

March 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

thanks maayan. glad that you were gifted with cheer. your comment reminded me of a recipe i posted here years ago when a couple i'm friends with were my shabbos guests: http://rabbifleischmann.blogspot.com/2006/07/recipe-for-maayan.html

March 21, 2011 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home