Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Theme To Beshalach

I'm thinking of Beshalach and of a take on it that I've posted here before. I like this approach, sad as it may be, and think about it often. I like it so much that when I was teaching Sefer Shmot a few years ago I adapted this into a lesson/PowerPoint and chose to give it on the day I was officially observed a few years back when Frisch was learning Shmot. Also, on one of the occasions when I've given the drasha at Mount Sinai Congregation in my neighborhood - Washington Heights - I presented this mehalech.

The basic idea (for those of you who don't like to click links) is that the theme of the parsha is that the Jewish People, upon leaving Egypt, have a hard time accepting G-d. In one situation after another they cry in unbearable frustration, not realizing that G-d will happily care for them - they needn't sweat it. In the end G-d employs another means to get his children to connect with him.

I recommend clicking on the post just to read the comment of a wise and sensitive (and anonymous) reader.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ask Teacher Pam said...

This parsha has a special place in my heart--it's our wedding sedra. The Song at the Sea (I love how poetry is "formatted" in the Torah) and all the other beautiful parts of leaving slavery behind--what a story, what a lesson. All your blog posts have been pithy and satisfying this past week. Thank you, RN.

January 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Mazal Tov! Thanks Pam - it's a nice parsha to have as your anniversary parsha.

Thanks for the appreciation.

I re-edited two pieces that I still hope to put on line at some point - pieces on Beshalach.

January 15, 2011 at 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home