Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Shalom, Shalom..."

"Shalom is one of Hashem's names
because He is Shaleim.
Similarly, when I say Shalom to you,
I wish upon you internal and external shleimut.
Hope you're well."

Several years ago I posted two lovely emails I'd received. Soon after I posted, each person asked me to please not post anything they email me, even if it's lovely and anonymous. I've kept my word. Thankfully, my friend cited above never made such a request. That's the email in its entirety up above. I wrote back, but probably won't hear from him for a while. Still, when you come into a landfall of blessing, you can't just expect to come into that kind of thing again so fast.



_________________________

This poem reminds me of my name and the one place (Iyov 14:9) it's used with my vowels and as a noun in all of Tanach. Iyov says that a tree is, in a way, superior to a man. When you cut a tree down, you can give it a little water and before long it's good as new, while this is not the case regarding man:

The Term
William Carlos Williams


A rumpled sheet
Of brown paper
About the length

And apparent bulk
Of a man was
Rolling with the

Wind slowly over
And over in
The street as

A car drove down
Upon it and
Crushed it to

The ground. Unlike
A man it rose
Again rolling

With the wind over
And over to be as
It was before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home