Thursday, July 15, 2010

In Vivo Post Regarding the Kruvim

I am sitting in Chop Chop, waiting for my lunch as I overhear a girl at the table next to me loudly explain to her friend the practical difference between a paradox and a dialectic. On my way here I passed a rabbi friend of the street and asked if he had a nine days related thought. As we crossed the street he cited the Gemorah which says that when the Bet HaMikdash was destroyed the kruvim (angels over the ark) were found facing each other. This is a sign of G-d's love. The question is that love seems to be the wrong emotion at the time that the Beit HaMikdash is destroyed. My answer (which I held in till after said friend finished saying his) is that G-d's love exists even when he is disappointed in us and needs to punish us. The umbrella over it all is not disgust or anger, but love. Also, the fact that G-d destroyed a structure of wood and stone instead of people is an expression of love. My friend quoted the Bnei Yisaschar who cites a Gemorah which says that before a man departs from his wife he should spend time with her. The Bnei Yisaschar says that this is the meaning of the embracing angels; G-d hugged us, spent time with us, showed his love before - temporarily - departing.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Elie said...

How do you like Chop Chop in comparison to Dougie Doug's?

July 15, 2010 at 3:35 PM  
Anonymous brownies said...

"God's destruction of a structure of wood and stone rather than a people is itself an expression of love"

Every year, around Tisha B'av, i hear or read that line somewhere, and it always gets to me. It's so beautiful.

July 15, 2010 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Elie, I like both. They are very different, hard to compare. I wish them success. The key thing about the place is that no has lasted long so far. I wish them well. I wrote this there the other day:

Restaurant I'm in
has had eight incarnations
I ate in them all

Brownies, yes - it is a beautiful concept.

July 15, 2010 at 6:37 PM  
Anonymous Elie said...

ha,
that haiku brought a smile to my face

July 16, 2010 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

as your telling me so brought a smile to mine

July 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger kishke said...

Restauranting
is a tough tough business
but fortunately
for the hungry among us
people just keep on trying.

July 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

well done poem kishke! i don't think i'd risk opening a restaurant, the odds are not on your side.

July 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home