Tuesday, July 06, 2010

I'M IN THE LIBRARY!!!

I am writing from the world famous New York City public library reading room. I came here for isolation and then discovered they had wireless Internet connection. It's not a secret; most of the people working in here are online. The last time I was here the room was filled solely with people and books - and it was only three (or maybe five) years ago. I am guilty myself of denigrating the lofty nature of this place. Sad.

I came here to read about Yehuda HaLevi and that's what I am now going to do. Internet. Sigh. I've already checked my work email and read an email from a parent questioning why their child only got a 90. I responded to some of the emails I received in response to my impulsively inviting all my Gmail contacts to Linkedin. I don't even know what Linkedin is. Or does.

I have so much I want to tell you. And yet I'm cutting myself off to read about one of the greatest poets, and maybe the best Jewish poet, who ever lived.

I hear dead poets
Yehuda HaLevi calls
How will we reply?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LinkedIn, like most social networking, allows you to find out if your ex-partners are surviving without you. ;-)

July 9, 2010 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Blogs can serve that purpose too.

An ex of mine (also known as someone I almost married) once wrote on her blog that when she discovered my blog she was disappointed to see I didn't talk about her. This was years ago. She's since made her blog private. We're not all so smart.

July 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home