Saturday, July 31, 2010

Curioser and Curioser (Click For Reference)



THE LIFE THAT I HAVE

The life that I have is all that I have
And the life that I have is yours
The love that I have of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.
A sleep I shall have, a rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause
For the peace of my years in the long green grass
Will be yours and yours and yours.

I wonder what led Chelsea and her husband to include Leo Marks' poem, The Life That I Have in their wedding ceremony. A pretty poem, but what an unusual choice! The short piece is a work by a British cryptographer from World War II, who made his codes harder by using his own poems. This one was in a movie about the French agent Violette Szabo, who received the coded message from Marks. The poem was featured in the biopic Carve Her Name With Pride. There's also a movie about the bookstore co-owned by Marx's father, called 84 Charing Cross Road.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home