Thursday, June 10, 2010

Where Have You Gone Bobby Hull? (Particularly The Metal Version of You And Your Game)

I have always been a fan of meta-sports. A Blackhawk fan is crying on the radio, and Bobby Hull (who is meaningful to me because of my beloved and cherished childhood game: Bobby Hull Hockey) is speaking is his deep, gravelly voice, saying that he enjoyed this victory more than his Blackhawk victory of '61 because that was tainted by broken dreams in the form of that win not being followed by others as he'd hoped. I didn't know till I just caught this WNYC story that Chicago won the Stanley Cup, and apparently there's quite a story behind the story in that the victory was a long time coming filled with behind the scenes politics and drama.
g
There was drama behind the drama in the recent big boxing bout. Yuri Foreman wad hurt badly, his manager and wife both tried to have the fight called, but the ref didn't listen. Foreman has an interesting personality as evidenced by his recent interview with Jimmy Kimmel who in a good natured but serious way questioned Foreman's being or becoming a rabbi.
b
When I was a kid I saw (on TV) the Mets and the Knicks win their championships. I remember being in the basement of my house and watching Buddy Harrelson's fight with Pete Rose. I remember the free poster that was in New York magazine of the '73 Knicks. And that same year, I recall the Mets almost making it all the way and crossing out the team picture on my wall and angrily writing under it, Almost doesn't count."
g
As early as third grade when a classmate brought in a Sports Illustrated covering the "Thrilla in Manilla," I was interested in the stories behind sports. If I am not mistaken, Muhamed Ali holds the record for most SI covers. I always enjoyed their profiles. Larry Byrd's incessant practicing, having his girlfriend retrieve the rebounds for him comes to mind.
h
I feel like this is the beginning of a longer piece. Rather than push it now, we'll call this part I. To be continued when the spirit moves me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pesach Sommer said...

Come on Spirit, move him. I'll hold back on trying to push a great story about running on you.

June 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Share!!! I'm glad you want more.

June 11, 2010 at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home