Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sigh

Free writing. I first learned of the concept in 12th grade from a teacher name Badendike who used to call us babe, as in "I was damn clear, babe." Years later I experienced it in the best way possible with my teacher Jennifer Natalya Fink. She would tell us to blech it out on the page, ideally hand writing it. She believed in scratching and doodling on the page even if you're not writing words, but to set an allotted amount of time in which you keep moving pen on paper. Do or die, so to speak. A woman I once dated liked that when she asked the guy she dated before me if he'd take care of her he said, "Do or die." A dear friend of mine told me that he went out with someone who told him, "Everyone says you're a great guy. But I just have to tell you - I don't see it." That, somehow reminds me of the fact that I love my years of dating, because how else would I know that I'm a "really great guy." I'm off on a family outing to Best Buy. I hope to buy a net book, hoping it'll change my life.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Minnesota Mamaleh said...

love it all the belching, the greatness. if only those teachers knew that you still remember, *and quote* their words!! as a former teacher, i know that's make their days! happy father's day! go forth and best-buy-it! :)

June 20, 2010 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

I love my years of dating, because how else would I know that I'm a "really great guy."

Ha! Funny, but bittersweet.

June 20, 2010 at 7:43 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thaks MM - I liked your pastiche post on spirituality, meaning, etc. (the etc. is the best pat).

I think the teacher may have meade up the word "To blech" - like to vomit - it out.

I tried top let my teachers know then and later how much I appreciated them. I published a piece on one of my favorite teachers and his aunt asked him if he paid me to write it.

I did buy the net book (actually my father knew for a while that I wanted one and offered to treat and I accepted) and am excited.

Kishke, oh yeah. My dating repertoire is all laced with something other than humor.

June 20, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home