Thursday, June 24, 2010

Latest World (Poetry) Cup News: Haku:4, Tanka:1

-
Is It True About The Eskimos?
~
Snowflakes look the same
They say each one is different
I sit and wonder
I feel the pain of difference
And of being just the same
`
What Are You Doing This Summer?
~
Here lies the answer
to frequently asked question
cited in title
`
Tika Be'Shofar
~
G-d, blow a shofar
and get us out of this place
out of our exile
`
Ki Le'Yeshuatcha Kivinu Kol HaYom
~
Perhaps unawares
we await your redemption
all the live long day
`
My Response To Your Puppy Eyes Asking To Be Shliach Tzibbur
~
That I be a mentsch
that's just what my mom wanted
above the amud

2 Comments:

Anonymous Shira at Table Poetry said...

The first one is my favorite - the pain of being different and of being the same. I wonder how many people wander around feeling like that.
But I also love the playfulness of 'what are you doing this summer?' It put a smile on my face.

June 25, 2010 at 3:10 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks - made my day so far. A lot of people I know are like that, but I think people I connect most strongly with a tiny part of the population (INFPs by and large). When I'm in situations with the larger world I see people running fast without much thought, not feeling the same or different or much at all but hurried and busy and focussed - oh my (sigh).

A comment I once received on these virtual pages comes to mind: "Sometimes I read your blog and think: How is it possible that this smart, talented person is not married? But I realize that those of us who are a bit different take longer to find our perfect match. You're not just the average, everyday haiku-writing, well-read, comedian-rabbi. :D"

June 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home