Saturday, June 05, 2010

GVAGB

Ten minutes - ready, go (no time for set). "Happy is the heart that still feels pain." - Ingrid Michaelson, discovered by me via Pandora. Pleasant to the ear and good lyrics. Also, via Pandora: "Your heart won't heal right if you keep tearing out the sutures" - The Postal Service. In their song, Nothing Better they have an emotional dialogue, in its power - reminiscent of the great song Father and Son, in which two people debate why they must/can't be together. Nothing Better's playing as I type.

I just used up my allotted time looking up the phrase, "Forgive my writing such a long letter, but I didn't have time to write a short one." I recall citing that in the past and Uri settling who said it. Someone quoted it to me today as a challenge to my love of writing haiku/tanka because they're short. This person attributed it to Oscar Wilde. Uri - and everyone else - who said it? (Uri - and everyone else - was I right for not telling him that I've heard the quote many times before? I never know).

4 Comments:

Blogger Groucho said...

"Didn't have time..." struck me as being Mark Twain. A couple of sites support that: http://thinkexist.com/quotation/i_didn-t_have_time_to_write_a_short_letter-so_i/338386.html
and http://www.grahamharvey.com.au/articles/90.htm
Regards, Mark

June 6, 2010 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Mark, hope you and yours are well.

Quoteland.com says it's Blaise Pascal: http://forum.quoteland.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99191541/m/5661997884

June 6, 2010 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger uriyo said...

Hi. Just catching up...

For comparative versions of the Pascal quote, see http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=177502

And yes, you were right for not making the person feel bad. Even though he misapplied it to attack you. Still.

June 15, 2010 at 1:48 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Uri, fascinating link. I never knew of this, it seems there's a service where people search for things you need and you tip them. Hmmm.

Wow, Pascal was early. I'll go with that. I see no back up for Kipling. Fascinating.

Thanks for answering my other Q too. Middot work is endless. I recently wrote a poem about traffic being a chance to work on acceptance. I shared it with a friend who I sometimes ride with and he said it was true in theory, but he just didn't have those kind of middot. By the way, he's a rebbe.

June 15, 2010 at 2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home