Monday, May 31, 2010

Ten Minute Free Write (Is There Such A Thing As A Free Write?)

Ten minutes on the clock. Go. Turkey roll and avocado on a sandwich make a great combo. I think avocado is nature's miraculous mayonnaise, it should be mixed with tuna. Help me out here, I believe in this. I want it to happen; tuna and avocado. Speaking about beliefs I spent a while today working on things I believe in. I had lunch with a student, once a student always a student - feels like yesterday but it was about ten years ago maybe more that he was in my shiur/class. Then I worked through some Torah ideas with a mentor. I once wrote here that I watched West Wing and a reader reacted with surprise. So maybe I shouldn't tell you that I just watched Lie To Me. Fascinating. I have always been interested in the idea of non verbal communication, and contradictions between what we say and what we say - if you know what I mean. Apparently this character who can tell if someone's telling the truth is based on a real person. I'm pleased that I'd already noticed some of his insights on my own. People will often say they like something or someone while nodding their head no. My hunch was that it's a tell, and Dr. Lightman agrees. School is actually ending for the year, contract came in the mail on Shabbos, and please G-d I'll be going into year fifteen in the same school. I'm proud of you Neil. Thank you Neil. I have two more minutes? What to say. Often when I free write my hunger comes to mind. I should carry little snacks around because my hunger affects me so strongly. I need to minimize shoulds and do instead. One more minute on the clock. I believe in G-d, and that Torah is true and that this means the greatest meaning and pleasure we can have in life is following the path of G-d's Torah. And we're out of time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Shira at Table Poetry said...

Amazing. You're very good. You managed to discuss recipes and pedagogy, movies and psychology, employment and religion all in under ten minutes.
I'm out of breath just thinking about it.

June 1, 2010 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Appreciation
always appreciated -
on the blog, big time

(that took under a minute to write and yet the sentiment is sincere. thanks so much shira for reading and commenting)

(maybe i should bill myself as the morris katz of blogging - minus the toilet paper)

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Katz]

June 1, 2010 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

I like tuna & avocado. I often combine tuna salad and guacamole at Shalosh Seudos. Chumus goes well with tuna too.

June 3, 2010 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

cool kishke thanks

June 3, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home