Saturday, May 29, 2010

GVAGNAGB

We all, I think, have pre-written stories about our lives and the lives of those around us. Life includes death and both include surprises. I know so many cases where life and death don't play out as expected - makes you wonder why we ever expect anything to go as we expect.

No one was expecting my mother to die any time soon. That's what I was thinking when I wrote this right after the shloshim:

It's the Livyason's Turn
hhb
Till my mother died
I thought she would never die
That's how she played it

Is there a proper way to grieve? I've heard that Kubler Ross' stages have been questioned and were never truly scientific in the first place. That makes sense to me.

The grieving is ever present. Six months and counting. And the shock.

I bought The Death of Death at the YU/SOY Sefarim sale. Was reading it a bit over Shabbos. The author is coming from a non traditional POV. I thought it might bring me comfort. So far no such luck.

Also read Paul Shaffer's autobio over Shabbos. A mechayah. I think Paul would like my calling it that. It's the truth.

I have written about 20 Junior recommendations, 30 something more to go. Review sheets to write. Finals to write. Teaching to finish, and, and, and.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Minnesota Mamaleh said...

so very true. best laid plans, and all that jazz. i'm sorry about your loss. and am glad that you're searching for solace through what else? words! i wouldn't have thought anything differently! as always, all the best.

May 30, 2010 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thank you dear fellow blogger, compassionate soul.

May 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home