Sunday, May 16, 2010

Got A Ticket For My Destination

This is being written and posted in real time. It's 1:45 AM. About 20 minutes ago I finished watching the movie It's Complicated with dad (hslabw). More a mom movie (lihibadel min hachayim umin hameitm). A month ago, on Saturday night, April 15th, I sat here at about the same time, after having watched Up In The Air with dad. I wrote for a while and envisioned posting but carried the post for the past four weeks. I need to go to sleep soon, so instead of pinpointing my percolating perspectives at this point I will post what I wrote a month ago. Tonight will have to wait. And the spaces being just write will have to wait too - tweaking is tiring and time consuming.

April 16, 2010

At 9:15 tonight I started to write. Shabbos ended about a half hour earlier. After Shul I shmoozed about the sefirot with a wise, good man and then walked home through the courts. Home.

I spent Shabbos in my father's home. Four months ago it was my parents' home. They say you can't go home again. I think you have to try to go home again, and to find your own home. Lately I've been giving myself writing assignments, taking a word and going with it. Home.

o

My spot at the kitchen table will always be -in my soul - my place to eat: perpendicular to dad, opposite mom, diagonal from bro. And my childhood bed, and room, will be my bed and room. I used to make pictures on the wall in the bright light cast from the Rosenbergs' porch till late at night. To fall asleep I'd imagine my bed floating into the sky and fly away to sleep. Home.

I spoke briefly with a potential mate tonight. I passed time as I waited for the Mets' game to end. Dad and I planned to watch a movie after Shabbos, right after the game ended. Who knew it would go to 19 (20?) innings? I chilled in the basement, a place I sat for many hours as a kid - my secret clubhouse. Home.
j

I sat listening to ambient music, thinking and writing about Shabbos and life. I spoke from the pulpit in the morning and taught between mincha and ma'ariv. The first time I did that I was seventeen years old. Mr. Cohen's been asking for months, each time I've visited, if I'll be speaking. Today I walked up that podium again. Home.

There was a shayla in shul. The rabbi was away. They asked me. They had already asked someone else. Two feuding gabayim put me in the middle without my knowing it. I gave my psak - an outlet that was attached to a timer heated the water pre Shabbos then turned it off on Shabbos and heated it again, should there be a knas? - and in the end the other team won. Home.
[
p

People - was it more women then men, or did it just seem that way? - came to me at kiddush and said they liked my speech. They liked that it had a beginning, middle, end, and a clear point (I guess I haven't been teaching public speaking classes for the last nine years for nothing). I said I was glad it was meaningful to them. Home.

;

Childhood friend was visiting from Israel. Seeing him was a joy, it made me revisit sweet times of over thirty years ago. Talking with him, both of us gray haired, yet bearing our old essential selves in clear view made me feel young and comfortable. Home.
;
;

As I spoke to the potential mate I wondered what home means. There's that Gemorah (h or no h? - I never know) in which a rabbi says he never referred to his wife by her name, he just called her home. Then I heard Billy Joel sing, "I never had a place that I could call my very own, but that's alright my love for your my home." That's why a woman walks around a man under their Chupah, she centers him, provides a home. I want to get gotten. Home.

l

This afternoon I walked in Alley Pond Park. That's where I cried at Little League practice because my strabismus made it almost impossible to make bat meet ball, and my scoliosis made it hard to run. That's where I jogged like there was no tomorrow the day that I left to Israel at 21 on a one way ticket. That's where my family and I threw away our missteps at tashlich. That's where I walked today. Home.

6 Comments:

Blogger kishke said...

I say no knas. No issur, no knas.

May 16, 2010 at 12:30 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

thanks. i get that if someone reheats water that got cold... whatever, i don't have patience to get into the whole think, but i don't get why poskim seem to treat it as if the person actively heated the water on purpose and thus the knas.

May 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

If it's on a time clock, the person didn't do anything. I'm curious. Which poskim say different?

BTW, you don't say "bein chayim l'chayim?"

May 16, 2010 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

"I spent Shabbos in my father's home. Four months ago it was my parents' home. They say you can't go home again."

This bit definitely resonates with me, Neil. I used to always refer to "my parents' home" when I talked to people, or "bubby and zaidy's house" when I talked to my kids.

After my father passed away, for quite some time, I still used these terms, and then I began to clarify: "My parents' home -- my mother's home"; "bubby and zaidy's house" became "bubby's house". I didn't want to "lose" the original expressions so fast, and every now and again I'll try to keep my father alive by putting him back into the equation when it comes to speaking about my childhood home.

Even if your childhood home and my childhood home are both missing an integral "feature," they are still home. As my father always taught us, "Everyone can live in a house, but not everyone lives in a home. You have to make your house a home." I know that you definitely grew up in a home...as did I, and that is a wonderful gift to carry with you throughout life.

May 16, 2010 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

kishke - i'm not familiar with bein chaim lechayim - i know the statement as i said it, i could be mistaken on how i say it.

in a similar case i was told that rabbi neuberger assured it, and rabbi uri cohen, and rabbi asher bush told me to look in his sefer and i had a hard time getting the bottom line but bthink he assurs it - the cases they were all dealing with are where there's a power outage and then the power comes back.

pearl - thank you a million times.

May 16, 2010 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

The idea of "bein chayim l'chayim" as I understand it is based on our belief in Olam Haba, so the differentiation is not between those who live and those who have died, but between those of this life and those of the next.

I also think it must have something to do with "tzadikim afilu b'misasan kruim chayim." We're making a statement about the niftar.

May 18, 2010 at 12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home