Friday, February 12, 2010

It's News To Us (Click For Link)

I am chewing on the sweet taste of childhood. It remains crunchy, has not melted in its milk. Eating Quisp cereal and enjoying the occasional plastic alien prize were a staple of my youth. Quisp, I've missed you.

Last week in Shoprite I chanced upon Quisp and took him home. Wikipedia says he's not available in stores. Don't believe everything you read.

Along with The Wombles, Quisp straddled the line between imagination and consumerism. I saw The Wombles sing only that one time on Wonderama and was sold. Dad (HSLABW) was probably right when he wouldn't buy me Remember You're A Womble that night in Korvettes. And yet, they, like Quisp, live on for me today.

I am thinking of food and toys. I am thinking of childhood. I am thinking of my brother (HSLABW).

Captain Crunch had the same technical taste as Quisp, but he and his freebies had no-where near the emotional appeal of Quisp. It's funny how the same ingredients, shaped differently, can feel a world apart. Ha ha.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

I remember seeing The Wombles on Wonderama. For some reason, I associate the song (or sound of) "Beach Baby" by (actually performed by First Class) with The Wombles. But I was able to find video of The Wombles on YouTube.

February 12, 2010 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Cool. I wonder how many times they were on - funny that we both remember. I just recall that one song, "Remember You're a Womble." And I remember the powerful feeling that even though I'd only seen them once I just had to buy that album because they were the greatest thing eva. I read up on them on Wikipedia. Intereting. it was one main guy, who brought in others - all top notch rockers/musicians. He tried but has not been able to live it down.

February 12, 2010 at 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home