Sunday, June 21, 2009

With Feathers

Lately I feel that I have been more cautious and cryptic here than once.

I am fascinated by the connection between jealousy and hope. Five months ago I wrote this tanka on the topic, which I posted together with some other things, such as excerpts from Debra Winger's memoir. That post had a nice thread of comments.

When one is jealous
One seeks to destroy that thing
That makes one jealous
Unless there is hope that is
Then one learns from jealousy

Nine months ago I conceived this paragraph, based on the insight of a friend, which later led to the tanka:

Jealousy is most destructive when hopelessness runs high. Jealousy is human. If one is jealous and has hope then one can combine the information gained from the jealousy, i.e. what one really wants, and then with the surrounding hope make positive efforts. If, G-d forbid, hopelessness is pervasive, then one destroys that which one is jealous of, both in others that have it in a developed form as well as whatever amount of the desired trait one has within oneself.

Over this Shabbos I thought of a chidush:

The mishnah says that kin'ah, ta'ava, and kavod - jealousy, desire, and honor remove a person from this world. If these things can remove a person from the world then that means you need to be struggling with them - to some extent - to be in this world in the first place.

This poem just came to mind:

Hope
By Emily Dickinson
0
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
m
I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That is one of my favorite poems. So deceptively simple.

June 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Yes. I googled around and found a lot of interesting comments and explanations. I sometimes really like a Dickinson poem but ignore/dismiss the words that I don't "get." This poem is chock full of words that if you think about a bit you realize are more complex than they sound at first. (One example; a crumb is usually meant to be a metaphor for a tiny amount, but that's not the case for a bird (hence the expression regarding eating a small amount - "eating like a bird," because for a bird a small amount is a lot) - so things are more complcated and open than they seem in that line about the crumb).

When I discovered Without Feathers at 13 I had no idea of how sad a book title it was. This is my answer to Woody.

June 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM  
Anonymous Dovi said...

I was just wondering if you could direct me to the mishna you quoted.
Thanks.

June 22, 2009 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

It's in Avot. Sometimes the nubers are slightly different in different versions of Pirkei Avot. In both the Koren and the Artscroll it's 4:28. The Koren translates this as, "Envy, lust, and the seeking of honor, drive a person out of the world." Artscroll translates it as, "Jealousy, lust, and glory remove a man from the world." The Koren has no comment on this mishnah. The Artscroll says, "These base instincts and appetites prevent a person from enjoying life."

June 22, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home