Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mind The Gap

In the comic strip Kudzo there was once a strip in which a boy asks a preacher why there is suffering in the world. The pastor answers, "It's a G-d thing, you wouldn't understand." Far from being a simple joke, or - worse - a cop out, I think this is a profound truth. The fact that G-d is not man is the answer to our questions concerning G-d. Everything we ask and everything we suggest as an answer is within our realm. The only things we can do is try to get the gap and try to bridge the gap. The more we understand that G-d is not one of us and the more we try to be like G-d and to be close to him as best we can, the more the questions go away.

But that's not what I wanted to write about. I felt, though, that before saying what I felt like saying at this moment, I needed to present the above idea. Now I can proceed.

Do you think that G-d is an artist? I do (although it's complicated, because really G-d is above any human conceptions, but within our world, as we perceive G-d, I'd say He's an artist). All this came to mind recently when Steg linked to this comic strip.

On a related note, it bugs me that poetry so peripheral in all circles today, specifically in Jewish "intellectual" circles. The Torah is a song, and it is wrong to turn a song into something burdensome/long. There's nothing like a good song, poem, or good art of any kind.

Recently I returned to an old habit. I was tired, didn't think I'd make it through my last period of the day/ Then I remembered The Art Room. I got myself some pastels and a big, thick white sheet of paper. I filled in with multi-colored flame like stripes. I returned several times until I deemed it done. Perhaps I'll post a photo of it. There's no place like art.

Tonight was graduation and the talk always turns to religious ideals, to family, and friends (depending on who's speaking). The school has a lovely custom of honoring one of the parents of a graduate with delivering the keynote address. I won a bet with the daughter of the speaker.

Minutes before the ceremony as the 165 students lined up outside the gym, this student told me that she made peace with the fact that her father was speaking. She only had two hopes. One, that he wouldn't mention her. Two, that he wouldn't mention the Holocaust. I assured her that he would definitely mention both. We made a bet. Guess who won.

Within the first two minutes of his speech (I thought it took three, but she said it was two) he mentioned his daughter and how proud he was of her. Then he said that his family's history reads like the book of Job and spoke about the Holocaust. He spoke really well, mostly about the responsibility that rests on the students, ending with the words, "Truly, our future is in your hands."

The speeches were all good, and the principal does a great job of keeping it relatively short - done in an hour and fifteen minutes. I sat taking notes. It's what I do. Perhaps another time I'll share more of what was said.

Good night and G-d bless
he prayed for himself
and like he did as a child
for all the people he loves

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

new authentic yeshivishe blog

'not brisker yeshivish'

briskyeshivish.blogspot

June 11, 2009 at 12:33 AM  
Blogger kishke said...

The title of the post is for the movie, right? I watched maybe a half-hour of it and gave up.

June 11, 2009 at 11:29 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I thought the phrase was relevant to the content of the post. I also liked it because I really liked that movie.

June 11, 2009 at 11:43 PM  
Blogger esqcapades said...

"The only things we can do is try to get the gap and try to bridge the gap."

I really like that idea. Recognizing that there is a gap is part of resolving the tension in the belief in a creator and the bad things that happen in the world. I like that cartoon. Recently my son brought up the idea of the jewish calendar year and the conflict with what scientists say the age of the earth is. Among other possibilities, I mentioned that perhaps HaShem experimented with creating and destroying worlds. He observed that if HaShem is "perfect" and "all powerful," why would there be experimentation - which I found surprised me - because I told him that my idea of "all powerful" didn't exclude a creative process if that was HaShem's desire. I asked him why shouldn't HaShem get to play if he wanted to?

June 11, 2009 at 11:59 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Esqc. - That's a cool idea. There's a Gemorah that says that G-d had a schedulem and part of that schedule is that he plays. This is a model for us and put in our terms. t's possible th the creation f the world is a similar idea. I was once mocked on a panel for suggesting a similar idea, but it works for me.

I truly think the gap idea and "getting it" is not a compounding of the question or a cop out but the foundation of The Answer.

June 12, 2009 at 12:32 AM  
Blogger uriyo said...

Thanks especially for that comic strip.

June 12, 2009 at 3:45 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

You're welcome, glad you liked it. The thanks really goes to Steg. There's a lot of good Torah and and and at his blog
http://boroparkpyro.blogspot.com/

June 12, 2009 at 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mind The Gap . . . and Mine The Gap

June 15, 2009 at 5:38 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Anonymous. I really like that. Hope I can incorporate it into my thoughts, feelings, actions.

June 15, 2009 at 5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home