Wednesday, December 24, 2008

GNAGB

Writing seconds before sleep via wireless connection means I am taking a risk, because my soul is already starting to check out for the night. And yet. (Click here for a post about the question of honesty in writing, a question I go back to again and again, and also to see from which illustrious author I took the idea to use "and yet" as a full sentence.)
j
I take conversations, as I try to take life, seriously. I wonder about what conversations mean to many other people. I think for many it's a way to be polite, fill time, stop boredom, get something they need - but not an integral part of life.

If you tell me something, know in advance that I am very curious and am really taking in what you are saying. If you speak to me more than once I will be going back each time to the files of my innermost self and remembering the pieces of what you told me in the past that now reside inside me. As you speak to me, if e've ever spoken before, I'll be re-experiencing those moments when you first told me something that mixes and matches somehow, I will be wanting and trying to figure out how, with what you are telling me now.

It doesn't explain everything he does, but I think part of Marc Salem's secret is that he is very curious, pays very close attention, takes things in very strongly. He uses what he hears and sees and senses, what is right there, but it ends up looking like magic because most people don't pay attention in that way. As I head off to sleep I leave you with this remarkable display of Marc Salem on 60 Minutes, which I highly recommend you watch.

Good night and G-d Bless
he sighed, mainly to himself
and the world wide web

2 Comments:

Blogger esqcapades said...

Thanks for the link to the Marc Salem piece. Remarkable. I think you're right about his level of observation. The tough balance in life is to be observant and then to know when to be kindly oblivious.

December 25, 2008 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks for watching that and commenting. I agree with you. I think it is also quite complex.

It's not only knowing when to be kindly oblivious, but also knowing when to be couragiosly bold.

For a gevurah - forceful personality type the hard part is to think and not act impulsively on what you see (or don't see, because this type is less likely to look closely and really get it right away, though they think they do).

For a gentle-chesed type, the hard part is to take what you know that you know and for goodness' sake to actually act on what you see.

I see so much in my professional and personal life and often don't react through speaking up. Sometimes it's out od love and a combination of chesed and gevurah that causes me to hold back. Sometimes, I think I need to, but fear, acting based on what I see.

I have to trust my kindness.

Thanks again for your comment.

December 25, 2008 at 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home