Saturday, May 17, 2008

With Some Misgivings

Over Shabbos my diary from two summers ago jumped off the shelf and into my hand. I found the long piece these lines came from.

Here's a variant edit:

Have to let go
of my urge to be heard
of my need to be seen

Have to hold on to
my drive to seek G-d
of my draw to His herd

Have to halve
my anxiety
double my faith

Have to take have to
and make it into want
want nothing but G-d love

Have two sides
like every man
have to take care

Have to own
my stone
in The Wall

Short poetry makes sense to me.

Samuel Menashe is The Master of the short poem. I cited a few of his poems here. Here are five more that I find remarkable.

The Living End

Before long the end
Of the beginning
Begins to bend
To the beginning
Of the end you live
With some misgivings
About what you did.

Improvidence

Owe, do not own
What you can borrow
Live on each loan
Forget tomorrow
Why not be in debt
To one who can give
You whatever you need
It is good to abet
Another's good deed

The Annunciation

She bows her head,
Submissive, yet
Her downcast glance
Asks the angel, "Why
For this romance,
Do I qualify?"

Morning

I wake and the sky
Is there, intact
The paper is white
The ink is black
My charmed life
Harms no one—
No wife, no son

What To Expect

At death's door
The end in sight
Is life, not death
Each breath you take
Is breathtaking

Save your breath
does not apply-
you must die.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home