Sunday, May 18, 2008

At The Reunion

Rabbi Neil Fleischmann reporting live from The Frisch School 1998 class reunion. There are tours of the building going on now. I walked around a bit with them, but knowing the building, I thought this would be a nice time to write. Lots of joy and nachas. Two retired Rebbeim gave me a ride in, and the reunion and good vibes started then for me. The old school dedication and Yirat Shamayim was palpable the second I sat in the car. They were in the middle of discussing a question (and the answer of Rav Dovid Tzvi Hoffman about the Arei HaLevi'im - Levite cities - and the chronology of when these laws were given).

My former colleagues got us to the event exactly on time, which meant that we were first. Then the old students started pouring in. The idea of the essence of a human being seemed to be flashed in every corner. Essences. I was able to recognize some people due to their nature, which in some ways didn't change. Others got who I was due to my essence, despite some physical changes - that only one person mentioned outright.

I said hello to one young woman by name, and she was a bit self conscious - said she was surprised I could recognize her. I saw a similar class within her that had been there back in eleventh grade. Another former student told me that he will soon speak and plans on embarrassing me a bit. No good deed goes unpunished, a cynical saying goes, and that saying came to mind. He's going to mention the class Shabbaton we had in his house and how a couple of senior boys broke a couple of rules and how he protected them from me catching them but then his mom found crushed beer cans in the basement and brought them into school and got permission to address the class and show them the evidence and talk about how hurt she was.

I saw the valedictorian, who was in my class. Great guy. I had a chat with a young woman from Australia who married a lively, good hearted old student. She said she was grateful to the school because it was a link in the chain of events that allowed them to meet and marry. Lovely.

I saw a student who was one of the favorites of one of my best friends who teaches in Israel - post high school. I will be respecting his wishes and sending regards, telling S that J is engaged.

There are two students from that class that now teach here. Students went in many directions ranging from coming without a Kippa to being seriously Lubavitch. There are at least three couples that both went to the school - one of them were a couple all through high school.

Lunch has started and I want to join the festivities. They're going to show Shiriya footage and reminisce and I think, overall, I'm going to like the whole thing. Actually, I already do.

Reunions are like life - bittersweet. They emphasize the passage of time and the good things that can only come along with experience. Reunions can also bring out competitiveness and insecurity. And some of the former students in attendance may feel that too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lion of Zion said...

they care without kippot on their heads or they actually remained bareheaded the entire evening?

May 25, 2008 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

One person came and was without a kippa very briefly till he realized his mistake and respectfully rectified it early on in this afternoon event.

May 25, 2008 at 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home