Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's Cold Out There Every Day

Maybe it's time to start text messaging to friends I just met on the bus and leave blogging behind. It's amazing how quickly something can grow old. CDs came and left like a wink. And while I was shedding a tear for the CD the basic cell phone packed it's bags and evacuated the planet along with emailing, blogging, and Please Leave Your Message At The Sound Of The Beep.

I feel like a few years ago if I posted a questionnaire on anger I'd have gotten a response or ten. The rule, which I usually ignored, was obvious - write about yourself and maybe they'll skim, ask questions and people will prop up and tell you their story. But all has grown quiet on the blogger front. And though I, clearly, mind for the moment, mainly I stand by my story that this is an extension of diary writing I've been doing my whole life, blah, blah, blah. To paraphrase the coffee smuggler in that old Israeli joke - if they want they'll read, if they don't, they won't.

The above cited joke is used as the example in the How To Kill A Joke segment of The Big Book of Jewish Humor (you can find it here). When I've told over this piece it's proven to be a favorite for listeners, especially some members of my brother's family - TSLABW - particularly my youngest nephew - HSLABW (BTW -YSALABW). It's a great bit, universal. I see it daily. I once adapted this to my routine, using one of my own jokes as the example and it worked. INote to self - run with that.

Thre's a teacher who's claim to fame is that he starts the year announcing - "They say about me that I have a short fuse...It is not true...I have no fuse at all." Sometimes I think - it's not that I have thin skin, I have no skin at all. I work at fighting it - but I seem to have extra receptory perception and I'm unsure of how to block the harmful rays. This comes to mind because today I told a friend and driver who had just pointed out once again a crazy driver in ront of us. I said that we forget but driving is objectively dangerous. This seemed to bother him. "Just because you're scared of it doesn't mean it's dangerous." Lately, I feel like I'm getting klopped about the driving issue more than ever. And it hurts.

The alarm just rang. Time to get up. Wishing everyone a safe, happy, healthy and - as my right hand friend likes to say - growth filled day.
l

DJ No. 1: All right, campers, rise and shine! —
and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooooold out there today.
DJ No. 2: It's cold out there everyday. What is this, Miami Beach?
DJ No. 1: Not hardly!

3 Comments:

Blogger kishke said...

Love that movie!

February 28, 2008 at 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Groundhog Day references. Always good.

I did read your questionnaire on anger and pondered the questions. But I didn't post my answers. Maybe the age of Blog openness (Glastnost?) has passed. I'll read the questions again and see if I have some better answers.

It may help that I am, in fact, rather angry today. (But not at you.)

February 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

It's not so much that driving is dangerous. It's more that it carries lots of potential for danger; most avoidable, some entirely random.

One of my sons (upper teens) doesn't drive; one reason is that he's a bit afraid. I'm pushing him to do it; it doesn't get easier in that respect when you get older.

February 29, 2008 at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home