Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tonight I Earned A Keychain

,
Feelings for others
and what they feel about me
a chicken and egg


People like to be liked. A rabbi who has since quietly passed, once said "all anyone wants in life is a little recognition." A friend complimented the above poem, made me feel good.

I sat with one student during my lunch time, studying with him for a whole period. Another teacher said "Maybe you want to study with him for my class too?" Sarcastic or serious? - I can never tell.
p
When I started teaching in this school I felt there were so many laters that were key that never came to be. So much of success for teacher and student has to do with talking things through one on one, curriculum and life wise, grabbing those laters ("We'll talk about this later," "I'll explain this to him later," "Another class is coming in but I'll give some TLC to this exiting student later) now. We have to find the time, not simply, but have to.

Humility came up - how Moshe and Har Sinai both teach humility. I said real humility is remembering G-d and His greatness, and also that He made all others. While keeping that in mind we need to assess as honestly as possible what our talents are. In light of the truth how can we think we're high and mighty?

A student announced publicly that he wanted to talk to me privately about G-d. Another student said that Bush keeps his humility by remembering G-d. I try to keep politics (on all levels) out my class. One kid felt compelled to announce that she doesn't like Bush (first with a face then with words, after I noticed the face). I then cited a comment that the elder Bush made in an interview. He recalled that after playing baseball his mother would ask him how it went. And he'd say that he caught a ball, got a hit, etc. When he finished his mother would look at him and ask - how did the other boys do George?

My ninth graders enjoy Mishna with fill in the blanks and guessing on the board. Improv in action. Some teaching techniques can't easily be taught

Two of my favorites (it's a thousand way tie) stopped me in the hall and asked me to explain a Rambam to them and I made their day by giving them what they needed and they did the same for me...

When we're hungry we tend to think about what we'll eat next, but it may be helpful to think about what we ate last. I meant that literally. But there's metaphor in there.


In the world café
we sip our tea and email
till the party ends

6 Comments:

Blogger kishke said...

In the world cafe'
we sip our tea and email
till the party ends

Very nice. (Cafe doesn't need an apostrophe.)

January 31, 2008 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

From Wikipedia: A café (also spelled cafe, pronounced /ˈkæfeɪ/ or /kæˈfeɪ/) or coffee shop is an informal restaurant offering a range of hot meals and made-to-order sandwiches. This differs from a coffee house, which is a limited-menu establishment which focuses on coffee sales. Depending on the jurisdiction, a café may be licensed to serve alcohol. The term can also refer to bistro or a restaurant facility within a hotel. In some countries, however, a café is synonymous with a coffee house.

January 31, 2008 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

So as I said, it does not need an apostrophe.

January 31, 2008 at 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do like that ending poem very much.

January 31, 2008 at 10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, I think there is a confusion in the comments above. The little line you see by the word cafe is meant to be an accent mark -- "accent grave" -- not an apostrophe.

The accent mark is carried over from the French language. It's sometimes used in words derived from French, like cafe. It's not a required punctuation mark, but is OK.

However, it is difficult to type it on a computer and have it show up correctly. Hence the confusion.

Info on French accent marks

February 1, 2008 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger kishke said...

No, I know what it's used for - the accent - I just thought it was called an apostrophe even when used in that way. I'm saying that cafe can be spelled without it.

February 1, 2008 at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home