Tuesday, January 01, 2008

And It's Only The Giving That Makes You What You Are

I truly wonder who reads this. I have gotten true confessions from ladies I once worked with that I bumped into online at the schwarma place. Also from former Yeshiva friends that I bumped into in the cave next to the kotel. Then there's the occasional guy at shul who tells me he likes my blog, or the student who tells me his mother's friend reads it. There's the old childhood friend from the neighborhood, and the high school friend and Israel room-mate. There are those who have made their presence known, like the kind, talented journalist in Rhode Island, the kind, talented computer person in Texas, and the kind, talented editor in Toronto. Now that I've started this I fear the old problem of leaving someone out. When I do games with my students, whatever the exact format or context, I always tell the that the name of the game is It's Not Fair (credit where it's due department - I once saw Marc Weiner do a mock game show on stage, which he called It's Not Fair). because I feel that's always the case. (Which reminds me of the time I performed in a neighborhood in Connecticut and one guy was real excited about my act and told me that there's a running theme of things not being fair and that I should name the act accordingly). Let me say - at the fear of leaving someone out that I do appreciate all who read. There's the talented writer, soon to be counselor of Pasaic. There's the anonymous kind souls Maayan, and Bob and RR. There's Jack, who I'm always thankful for because he makes me feel like I don't post that often. There's the one time commenter who once thanked me for decreasing pain in his/her life - which I very much appreciated. There's the colleague who left my workplace due to personal reasons who found this blog because I once used the computer when it was under his log in. There's mom and dad. There's the colleague who ran off a test last minute the other day and then that test ate up my period with the same students and she just won a bet with her husband - if it's still on. There's Uri, the ever helpful, whom I just realized recently probably teaches many of my students after I do. There are those who let me know off blog what they've seen and what they think. Of course there's kishke who has become quite a haiku writer and whose presence is appreciated. I wonder if psychotoddler still reads. I wonder if Seraphic Secret has ever glanced. Quinn Cummings recently wrote that if you've ever commented on her blog then she's probably looked at yours. That would be an honor in a cool way. Author Tim Madigan told me that he googled me before replying to me and subsequently citing me in the softcover version of his book. Then there's the author of the book, whose name eludes me, who has a google thing that tells him when his name's mentioned on line so he emailed after I'd said I liked his book. I'm not peeking by the way - doing this from memory. There's Amy Krouse Rosenthal who wrote me that she read and that she liked my post which included Raymond Carver's Rain. And there are a few improv people who take a look from time to time. I wonder who else.

PS - If you want a headstart on the parsha and a new look at slavery go to parshapost.

17 Comments:

Blogger kishke said...

O, precious of days,
The master ladles out praise,
Downcast eyes, humble.

Head swells suddenly,
As thoughts congeal muddily,
Haiku needed now.

Writing just for fun,
No deep dream, just shoot that gun,
Haiku delivered.

January 1, 2008 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

I presume (how presumptuous of me!) that I'm the "kind, talented editor in Toronto"-- thanks, Neil.

I also wonder who reads my blog..aside from "the regulars". But somehow it doesn't matter as much as it did to me two and more years ago. I was so attached to the blog; of course, I still do more than just dabble, but blogging no longer takes over my daily life, thank G-d.

I'm glad you're still around for me to visit, and to be amused, or pensive, or made wiser by your words.

Keep up the good work, Rabbi. You get an "A" on your blogging assignment!

January 1, 2008 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

Wow, Kishke, you pulled that off really well; we were contemplating our words at the same time, but you posted quicker than I did!

January 1, 2008 at 10:47 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

Thank you, Pearl! My secret is: I don't contemplate (much). If I did, I'd never comment.

January 1, 2008 at 11:02 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I say I don't care
but then I check for comments
and am pleased they're there

How did Pearl do it -
Pull back a bit from blogging -
That slippery slope?

Sometimes you presume
and the presumption is true
Sometimes you just know

Right from the kishke
without long contemplation
can make good writing

"The master" fidgets
Wonders what it's all about -
Where the lines get drawn

January 1, 2008 at 11:14 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

Checking for comments.
Doth not the very act show
one's care? Verily.

______________________


Pray tell, didst thou not
Apprehend mine borrowing
From favored minstrel?

January 1, 2008 at 11:24 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Somedays people accuse me of being haikuless.

January 1, 2008 at 11:42 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

Jack, you actually got me laughing out loud with your comment! (good for you)

Neil inspired me with his haiku and I attempted some "Jewku" a long time ago, but I've since fallen off the haiku wagon.

January 2, 2008 at 12:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder who reads my blog as well, Neil. I'm always surprised when someone mentions it to me in Real Life! Most people read but don't leave comments, as you know. I am fine with that, although I'd like to get feedback more often. (You do your part; thank you!)

Writing a blog reminds me of the old rhyme, "I shot an arrow in the air..." I never know where my words will land, or if anyone will notice. Because I love to write in this freeing format, I try to simply enjoy the process regardless of "who's there?".

You have wonderful commentors, I've noticed. You can tell a blogger by the company he keeps!

January 2, 2008 at 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. But is the writing intentionally small or by accident? (I can fix it if by accident)

January 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Jack, you actually got me laughing out loud with your comment! (good for you)

Pearl,

Every once in a while I hit one right. ;)

January 2, 2008 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I thank you all for the comments.

I neglected to thank one dear reader who wrote me today bemoaning our recent slide in being in touch. He added, "thank G-d for your blog." I thank G-d for him and for our friendship that came about via the blog.

One of the other people I mentioned happened to write me today for the first time in a long time.

Thanks kishke for the follow up. I didn't get the borrowing from the minstrel. Ian Anderson?

Jack - most people I meet are haikuless.

Pearl - Once you write haikus, you're in. It's like riding a bike. In fact my goal is to have that saying changed to - it's like writing haiku.

Anne - Thanks. That line is from a Longfellow poem, The Arrow and the Song. It really fits. Also, cast your bread onto the water... You have a great attitude, seems like the most sensible and healthy way to approach this and so many things.

"You have wonderful commentors, I've noticed. You can tell a blogger by the company he keeps!" They say that "What Peter says about Paul tells you more about Peter than it does about Paul." Anne - what a nice thing for you to percieve and how kind of you to share it. With no evil eye - ppp - it is a wonderful group of people. My life has been blessed and enriched by the people I've met through this blog and those that have shared comments here.

Miriam, for some reason - I think because I liked it as one chunk - I decided to make the print small for this post. However, on my parshapost blog the print seems to always be small and I'd like it to be bigger.

January 2, 2008 at 9:02 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I am also grateful to the blogger and kind commenter who lives in my neighborhood.

January 2, 2008 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

I said "favored minstrel."

Peter Himmelman, in Kneel Down, from Imperfect World.

"The morning's come, are you ready to shoot that gun now?

I was going to borrow "a broad dream" from him as well (different album), but used "deep dream" instead.

January 3, 2008 at 12:15 AM  
Blogger kishke said...

Kind Anne says we're all
Such wonderful commentors
Just know she means me.

I've got a swelled head.
No, self-esteem, confidence!
Or are they the same?

January 3, 2008 at 12:22 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I know and love the early Himmelman songs and lyrics. I'm a big fan and have the later stuff, but mostly the tunes and lyrics don't grab me like the early stuff. So these phrases didn't catch me. I thought you meant The Minstrel In The Gallery, as the title comes from one of his songs. Your last comment made me think of the observation of Rabbi A Twerski that Lucy and Charlie Brown have the same issue that just manifests differently.

A couple of posts up received a comment from Esther K and I feel bad that I left her off my list. Every blogger has a blogger that inspired them to start and she was that blogger for me. Thanks again.

January 3, 2008 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger kishke said...

To be honest, I know little of Himmelman. I tried him out b/c of your blog, and on the two albums I've heard, there are about four songs I really like, and four more that are good. So thanks!

January 3, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home